Saturday, May 14, 2011

burke is nine!

Burke turned nine on Friday the 13th! He started the day by going to the store to pick out a box of cold cereal with Rob, and to buy donuts for Burke's school class. Rob also gave him a couple of dollars to buy a smoothie at school for a special treat (they do Smoothie Friday every week, and our kids have never participated).

Per Burke's request we had grilled hamburgers, corn on the cob, baked beans, and fresh fruit salad for dinner. On a personal note I have to mention that I think I ate the best burger of my life last night (with cheese, grilled pineapple, tomato, red onion, BBQ sauce, etc.). Delicious!

After dinner it was finally time to open gifts (oh, the torture to have to wait so long!).

To find his final gift, Burke was given a clue inside of a card, which lead to...





A tether ball set! I've mentioned how much our boys are into tetherball these days. This was a total surprise to them.


Everyone helped put it together:



Let the fun begin!




It was a beautiful evening and everyone found something to do. Liv is getting pretty good at jumping:
Silly Liv climbed into the hoop.





Tosh stayed busy moving rocks and running fast!


Rob showed off his mad dunking skills (on what, 7 1/2 feet?).



We let the kids play until it was dark and then came in for cake and ice cream. I had printed out "Happy 9th Burke" in a Harry Potter font and cut it out to use as a stencil on the cake... it didn't work as planned, so I ended up covering the cake with sprinkles. Burke and I both love sprinkles, so I knew he would love it anyway. It was Burke's very favorite chocolate cake with my homemade chocolate frosting that tastes like chocolate mousse!

Yummmm!


Happy Birthday, Burke! We love you so much and appreciate all that we learn from you.



p.s. Burke and Hewitt were up at 6:30 this morning (Saturday) and already out playing tetherball!

6 comments:

Tom and Maryana said...

It looks like Burke had a great birthday and the teather ball will be enjoyed by everyone. We sure enjoy reading your blog and seeing pictures of the family - we need a picture of you, Tamsen. That is quite a bowl of ice cream that Burke had.

janeannechovy said...

Happy Birthday Burke!!

Andi said...

LOVE tetherball!

I'm glad to read that your mom's surgery went well. I hope she is continuing to recover.

Britt said...

Riian (my 9 year old), is the school champ at tetherball. We got her a tetherball set for Christmas. What a cute boy he is.

The Laundry Queen said...

Happy Birthday, Burke! Love the pictures, especially the ones of Liv on the tramp. Fun!

rachel said...

Happy Birthday, Burke! Tetherball is a great idea! So is the Beetle Bard book and the trampoline. Can you tell I'm looking for ways to get the kids out of my hair (and the house!) already? :)