Wednesday, August 7, 2013

summer vacay 2013 (part 1)

I loaded up the van with everything we thought we would need for the month (was quite a stressful task!) and the three youngest kids and I took off early Saturday, June 22nd.  We drove to Flagstaff to meet Rob and Burke.  Just before we got to Flag, Hewitt and Liv were complaining about not feeling well (it was a curvy part as we were climbing up the mountain).  Our kids have never gotten car sick before, so I guess I don't drive as well as Rob!  I just happened to have a Ziplock bag in my purse and was able to pass it to Liv (directly behind me) while I was driving.  She threw up and felt much better.  We met Rob and Burke at a gas station in Flagstaff and somehow we managed to get all of their camping gear to fit in the van.  We then drove the remainder of the way and got to Utah around 7pm on Saturday.  

Sunday morning we were able to visit the cemetery before church.  It really is in a beautiful location with a great view of the mountains and Utah Lake.  It was our first time back to the cemetery since Rog's funeral.
Hewitt and Burke loved playing with these shoe horns that were Grandpa Pete's


I LOVE this photo of Patti and Rob
 We were able to spend some time with Rob's older sister and her family on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.  Sunday evening, my nieces and their husbands came over for dinner, and then Rob's mission companion/friend Damon (and his family) joined us for dessert.

Monday we met our good friends, the Haynies, at a reservoir in Herriman.  We played at the 'beach' for several hours and ate a picnic lunch, before going to their home for dinner.

Zac and Burke have been best friends since they were three!





Such cute kids and great friends 

My niece, Melanie, had tickets to a "Princess Festival" at Thanksgiving Point and invited Liv and me to go.  Liv really enjoyed it and felt pretty special, for sure.


Liv took her autograph book to all of the princesses for them to sign.  Here she is with Tinkerbell:

Liv and Rapunzel

Liv kept telling everyone that her favorite princess is "Tiana" from the Frog Princess, even though she's never seen it
 
 Liv's dress didn't slow her down from climbing on the play equipment:

A tea party with cousin Melanie (or "My Melanie" as Liv calls her):


After the festival, we joined Rob and the boys and headed to my cousin Jackie's house for lunch with my Aunt Pat (my mom's 88-year-old sister).  It was so great to see Pat and Jackie and I was very emotional being with my mom's family and feeling her presence there with us.

We had dinner with our good friends, the Ashby's (my college roommate, and they were our neighbors in Riverton), on Tuesday night.   Our stay in Utah was TOO SHORT!  We are usually there for at least a week!

We added Patti to our crowded van and took off for Oregon on Wednesday morning.  The beautiful pines, slower speeds, and rain all indicated that we were there!


We stayed at Rob's brother's house in Portland Wednesday and Thursday nights.  The kids had a blast playing in their huge backyard.  


Liv loved swinging with her cousin Emily:

On Thursday morning I went running with Julie and then we were able to go to the (gorgeous) Portland Temple with John, Julie, and Patti.  I don't think I have been there since we lived in Oregon in 2000.
I love these people!

And I really love this guy:

After the temple, the brothers and I hit Burgerville; our northwest favorite!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love the pictures! You guys really had quite an adventure, I can't wait to read the other parts! :) And the pic of Rob and my mom made me cry. :)

Angie said...

You definitely need to visit Utah longer next time :) Loved having you visit. Love hearing about your vacation.

The Laundry Queen said...

Great pictures. Love reading about your loooong, but awesome, vacation. :)