Sunday, August 18, 2013

all caught up on the blog?! no way!

All of the blogging I've been doing, finally brings me to the present week!  Liv is sure growing up.  She is enjoying school and is very independent.  She really got into folding laundry the other day, and is a pro at washcloths and dish towels.  She is really good at matching socks and is learning to fold socks together:


My cute cub scout earned his 'Wolf' (and three arrow points) back in May, but they haven't had a pack meeting since April, so he just got the awards:

They had him 'wolf down' a tin of whipped cream:


 I mentioned that it was time for a hair trim and Liv said, "I want it short like Addie's (her cute little friend)!"  Her hair is so fine that I knew short hair would probably be better for her (and much easier for me).  It was a good choice!  We both really like the change:

Her little face and eyelashes look so cute in this one:


Liv got really tired of me trying to take a photo of her new haircut.  Can you tell that she's had enough?  So funny:

I was asked to do some 'dance instruction' for a Teen Elect activity this weekend.  Rob was actually the person that asked me to do it (he was on the planning committee).  The details were, shall I say, lacking?  I was told that it should be "fun" (probably not formal ballroom?).   I agreed to 'assist' my friend Angela and we decided to do more of a 'flash mob' type of song that they could throw into any stake dance and the kids could all do the choreography together.  Angela put together a throw-back medley including some Devo (Whip It), Wham (Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go),  Michael Jackson (Thriller), MC Hammer (Can't Touch This), and Europe (Final Countdown).

We used some original choreography (Thriller and Can't Touch This) and it seemed to be a big success.  There was a bit of confusion prior with the stake leaders, but it all came together (and they ended up following my suggestions, ha!).  I had heard that the younger boys in our ward were dreading being partnered up for ballroom-type dancing, so they were all relieved to do something different.  I think our discussion prior to dancing about, "It's OK to look ridiculous; we all will.  Just go for it.  I promise it will make the dance more fun...(etc)" really worked!

We ended up teaching three times.  Friday night we had  the 12 and 13 year-olds.  It was a HUGE group--over 100 kids.  They were so cute and fully got into it.  We had boys doing the worm even!  The best was when we would introduce the next song and they would cheer!  It was great.  I laughed when I arrived and found this sign on the door:

Hilarious!

Saturday we did two groups.  First, the 14 and 15 year-olds (close to 90 kids).  Rob was running the music and took a couple of shots with his phone:

This next picture is great because it looks like the kids are having fun!

We then went to a different building and taught the 16 and 17 year-olds.  They were a much smaller group and it went a lot faster with the older kids!  It's been a LONG time since I've done any kind of choreography/dance, let alone taught.  Guess what?  I loved it, and realized how much I missed this (it was a great workout too)!  It was interesting too how much more outgoing and confident I feel in front of a crowd with a microphone in my hand.  Not sure what to do about that...  Anyone want to hire an old lady that can still do a few good '80s moves?  :)

4 comments:

MeLanie said...

You need to do a Zumba class!! I could totally see you teaching those!!

The Laundry Queen said...

I'll hire you! Looks like it was right up your alley. Hope you included at least one instance of Jazz Hands... :)

janeannechovy said...

I would totally hire you. They could use some dance instruction for the nerdy kids at school. :) And Anders could really stand to learn something other than the classic nerd dance (step, touch; step touch), right!?

The Adventures of Six Petes said...

This needs to be part of our next family reunion in some way, I think.