Liv is getting more interested in dolls and playing pretend with them. I love to hear her little voice go up as she 'mothers' her babies and say things like, "Okay sweetheart, time for your nap." I noticed she was carrying her baby's bottle around in her back pocket the other day and I thought that was pretty genius :).
Liv was really excited about my suggestion of having a sleepover with her Barbie Doll. I was thinking we would just put Barbie next to Liv's bed on the floor, but she really wanted to both be in sleeping bags. She got her room all set up including this tray with a water bottle, "in case I get really thirsty in the middle of the night, then I can wake up and have a drink." She makes me smile.
A friend gave Liv these press-on nails for her birthday (not something I would ever buy, but she thought it was fun). I was thinking that it might do the trick of solving her finger-sucking, but the nails only lasted about five minutes.
I sent out an e-mail to our family about Tosh's Kindergarten Musical Program. It was done really well and Rob and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Here is what I wrote to our families:
Rob and I attended Tosh's kindergarten musical program today. Honestly, it was one of those 'priceless' moments that I wish you all could have seen in person. These videos were sent to me by a friend sitting in the front row. The videos aren't great (so bummed!), but you can get the idea. Tosh walked sort of sideways from the side of the stage to the center, trying to keep his "George Washington" wig on, which got a good laugh. He did a GREAT job on his part (which I was a little nervous about).Here is the George Washington song:The other clip I am sharing sort of stole the show! I had tears streaming down my face (a "Furhiman moment" for a Dunning), and all of the people around us were laughing and enjoying Tosh's dancing just as much. He was sort of staring into the audience all funny, which added to the humor for me. Tosh is the kid in the front right side (wearing tan shorts and a light shirt, to the right of the boy in the yellow shirt), if you can't tell. I really hope my mom had a front row seat today. She would have LOVED it! Again, the picture and sound isn't great, but just concentrate on the awesome dancing :)
Tosh, alone, would take a bow each time the audience applauded! Hilarious.
Rob and I have been a bit frustrated by how hyper and silly he can be (much more than our older boys at this age); but as Rob said yesterday, we gotta love the entire package! The extra energy brings some amazing moments too :)
Tosh's teacher helping him with his wig:
George Washington:
This next photo is the kids singing the "Rainbow Song." This was such a sweet song and kind of a tear-jerker. Tosh and the girl next to him kept switching their hands around--so funny. Tosh kept going the opposite way of everyone else as well. Here is a link to that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHxAOaBMuU&feature=youtu.be
Funny Tosh:
Tosh earned the "Kindness Award" at the kindergarten awards ceremony this week. His teacher put together a nice slide show of pictures from the year, and we had muffins, donuts, and fruit in the classroom as we watched it. I have really enjoyed volunteering in his class this year (about twice a month) and teaching Art Masterpiece as well. Tosh with his teacher, Mrs. Vallillo:
I had to laugh that Tosh got awarded for being kind two days after I got a call from the teacher telling me that at lunch he squeezed the Go-Gurt of the little girl sitting next to him and it got all over her face :(. He wrote the following apology card after school. I thought the front of his card was pretty sweet and showed some remorse:
The question marks make we wonder though... :)
Liv had her four-year-old check up this week. She has gone through a growth spurt lately, but still only 25% for height and 35% for weight. I didn't tell her she had to have some shots until the entire exam was over and we were waiting for the nurse. She wasn't too happy and tried to hide:
I helped at Hewitt's end of the year party. I ran the musical chairs/unwrap the present station, but caught this cute shot of him hula hooping:
I believe I mentioned last week that Burke is currently earning 'pearls of wisdom' for school. I don't think I realized quite how excellent Burke's memory is until this challenge! He earned at least one pearl a day this week, including things like memorizing the entire Periodic Table (and spelling all of the names of the elements correctly), memorizing all of the bones in the cranium, etc. They did a "Pearl-a -Palooza" on Wednesday night to showcase some of the things the kids have accomplished and Burke recited part of "Casey at the Bat." He was really into it and very animated and his teacher said, "Burke is all business 24/7 and I think we just saw the real Burke for the first time this year!" Burke has earned 15 pearls (was in first place on Friday for all three of the classes) and is trying to do as much as he can before school ends on Wednesday.
He also had a big project about the Civil War due on Friday, and wrote and recorded a song! He did all of the instruments on his own (drums, keyboards, vocals and back ups, and even some tambourine). I am really proud of him. Burke is such a happy kid when he is working hard and being challenged.
On Friday morning Tosh was looking in mirror while I combed his hair and suddenly laughed and said, "I look like Mitt Romney!"
We are really enjoying the pool. Liv is able to be out there much longer this year (last year it was about 10 minutes and then she was done and wanting to go inside). She will play pretend, sit in the shade to eat an otter pop, and then get back in. My favorite thing is that she will just float around in the water and visit with me while I tread water. On Friday she was talking non-stop and asking so many great questions. One of my favorite conversations was, "I wanna be a baby dolphin, Mommy. A baby dolphin that swims with a floatie. Do dolphins have ears? Do dolphins dance? How do they dance?" She also got talking about Jesus (very common) and was asking when He will come back to earth. I told her that none of us know and asked he when she thinks it will be. She said, "Probly (how she says it) in a million days. When I'm fourteen."
Our brother-in-law, Mike, just mixed the duet we recorded (thanks, Mike!). You will have to go to my actual blog (sweetpetes.blogspot.com) and click on this to hear the song. It was fun to sing something Rob wrote together (finally, right? We've only been married 14 years). :)
I've been thinking about Rog (Rob's dad) a lot this week, and really miss being able to tell him (and let's face it, brag a bit) about the kids and what they are up to. He was always so proud of his kids and grandkids (hello, Burke memorizing the periodic table? He would have loved that! I'm thankful that Burke seems to have inherited Roger's great memory!). I also really miss hearing Rog's chuckle in response to funny things our kids do or say.
I want to wish everyone a wonderful Memorial Day tomorrow. I sure miss Rog and my mom (our two biggest fans!) more than I can express, and feel hopeful that they are able to catch snippets of our lives and are smiling down as Rob and I struggle to do our best with their posterity.
4 comments:
Love you, Tams.
I love the song you two sang together! Very fun to hear you sing again! My kids were asking whose blog this was when I was reading it and I said, "One of my roommates from college" and my daughter said, "Oh, that was a long time ago!" Yes, it was, but I love that we can read blogs to stay in touch!
Love the sweet song and what makes it better is the two of you singing together. You still have such a beautiful voice!
I am still laughing over Tosh's Mitt Romney comment. I love to hear you and Rob sing. I love your comments about Rob's dad and your mom. I'm sure they are both very proud watching you :) You are some of the best parents I know.
Post a Comment