Monday, December 12, 2011

memory monday: two-year-old tantrum(s)

Today is a rainy day. Perfect for staying indoors, snuggling up with a book (or laptop), eating homemade pumpkin cookies, and listening to Christmas music. We had a good morning today. I took a picture (on my phone) of Liv and Tosh on our way out the door to school. You may have some concerns about what I let my children wear in public (or to school). What can I say? I'm generally happy to let my kids pick out their own clothes/dress themselves. Yea for self expression, right? Liv was so excited that I pulled out these pink boots (thanks, Aunt JA) that are similar to the ones Tosh has loved wearing lately. She also found a backpack to put on too. Cute photo opp, for sure:

Well, imagine Liv's disappointment when we walked Tosh (and his two buddies) up to the school to sign in and she wasn't able to stay with them. I guess she thought that wearing a backpack meant that she would finally get a turn at school. So sad. I am not kidding when I say that it took me TEN minutes to get her buckled in her car seat to drive home. Girlfriend is STRONG (both in body and will)! I felt really sad for her and hugged her and told her that I'm sorry she is still too young for school. She finally calmed down (thanks to the fact that I happened to have a library DVD of "Charlie Brown Christmas" in the van). All during the 'limp toddler, arched back tantrum' that went on for what seemed like forever, I was reminded of another two-year-old tantrum that occurred about seven years ago...

It was November 24th, the day before Thanksgiving and Rob's birthday. We were living in student housing in Provo while Rob was in graduate school. Burke was almost two and a half, and Hewitt was about eight weeks old. I am somewhat of a hermit and don't shop much, but I wanted to get a birthday present for Rob so I decided to go to the nearby ShopKo. My mom had been over to our apartment for a visit and was about to head home so I asked her if she would go with me to ShopKo before she left (I was nervous about taking two kids out on my own). As soon as we entered the store, we found ourselves surrounded by Christmas displays and toys. Burke got really upset about something he wanted and started crying and making a huge fuss in the store when I didn't give him the toy. He wouldn't get over it so I decided that this wasn't worth it and we decided to take off (Rob's gift would have to wait--he is really hard to shop for anyway and never likes anything I get him).

It was very cold outside (late November in Utah) and Burke threw a massive tantrum as I tried to buckle him into our blue Subaru Outback. You know, the same 'limp body, arched back' thing that all two-year-olds master. Well, in my struggle, I dropped the keys to the car on the floor in front of Burke. When I finally *won* and got him buckled, I shut the car door and heard that honk that tells you that the car is locked. Whoops. Somehow I had bumped the lock button on my keys before dropping them.

Now, thank HEAVEN my mom is there and is still holding baby Hewitt in his car seat. I called Rob's cell phone (he had told me that he would be in the library studying that afternoon), but he didn't answer so I left a panicky message. Since we were locked out of the car, I decided to go home to get my spare car key. I left my Mom (and Hewitt) to wait by my car, and then scanned the parking lot and spotted a nice, young co-ed. I ran over to her and said, "I am locked out my car and I have a screaming two-year-old inside! Can you give me a ride to my apartment?" She was very kind and did it (gotta love safe Provo!). I ran to the apartment manager's door and waited for them to let me in to my apartment (took awhile). I finally got in my apartment, but couldn't find my spare key! My mom had given me her keys so I grabbed her car and drove back over to the ShopKo parking lot.

My Mom and baby Hewitt then got into my mom's car to warm up and I desperately promised (still screaming) Burke that I would get him out soon. We probably tried Rob's phone about a dozen times and finally decided it was time to call the police. By the time the police arrived, Burke had cried himself to sleep. :( I think he thought that he was in the biggest "time out" known to man. Unfortunately, the officer that arrived did not have the right tools to open the car and so we waited for a different officer that was responding to another call. We waited for a very long time (at least an hour or two in all), when suddenly Rob gets dropped off in the parking lot by one of his school buddies. Note: they were both sweaty and wearing basketball clothes. I'm not going to lie, I was bugged that Rob went to play basketball without telling me where he was going to be, but was mostly relieved when he showed up with a key and we were able to get out kids home safe and sound and out of the cold. I should also mention that I'm pretty sure Rob didn't get anything on his birthday that year :).

Burke loves hearing this story, by the way, and I chuckled as I wrote it down just now. Rob called me just as I finished this last paragraph and as I read this blog post to him I was surprised that I started crying as I read it. I think it's mostly because the many memories I treasure of my mom, and how many times she has been there for me. I'm so grateful for her and also for my sweet kids and husband. I am grateful that Liv is safe and napping right now--long enough for me to get down my thoughts even. I love this time of year and feel so much gratitude for my blessings. I also feel grateful that I am a wiser mom than I was seven years ago, and was able to smile at the situation with Liv today. I didn't get frazzled or upset, but just held and hugged her until she calmed down...and I made sure I knew where my keys were!

5 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I love their outfits! Tosh is totally rocking the do-rag. I passed the pink boots on to you, but I didn't buy them. One of the other gals will have to 'fess up. :)

That story cracks me up.

The Laundry Queen said...

The pink boots were my purchase, but if you ever tell anyone I bought pink boots I'll deny it. ; )

I remember when that happened. I can't believe it was that long ago! I'm sure I'll have many instances in the future where Edith feels left behind, hopefully I'll remember the 'hug it out' technique.

Angie said...

Oh, that story. The one that ruined your shopping life forever. I love your last paragraph. Having a mom that is there for you is the best and you definitely have a mom like that. And isn't it wonderful that we become wiser moms with time. Well, not wonderful for our first born but I agree that over the years I'm so glad we figure out stuff and become better moms.

Perschon Family said...

self expression dressing is the best. loved reading this story! also love your christmas card! such a great picture of your family!!

Angela said...

Love the stories. I experience those tantrums when putting Kate in the carseat all the time. Noah has locked himself in the car twice. Loved your card too, such a great picture.