Sunday, February 20, 2011

stuff that's going on (as Burke calls it)

We had a nice Valentine's Day, although it was pretty much a regular Monday night. We did have strawberry floats for our Family Night treat and decorated homemade heart sugar cookies. (Rob actually went to the Pete Yorn concert that night with a friend. I really didn't care as they left after the younger kids went to bed, and we had gone out for dinner on Saturday night. I figured if two guys wanted to go out on Valentine's Day, then why should I care.)

Burke and Hewitt decorated Valentine boxes for their class parties. Burke's box was cleared of all candy that day, I believe. I laughed that he didn't even open most of the cards, he was just looking for candy. He also left all wrappers and cards in the box instead of throwing anything away:


Hewitt's box looks just as it did when he brought it home almost a week later.
He certainly is missing the sweet tooth that all of his siblings seem to have gotten...



My kitchen faucet was not fixed until Wednesday...I was really grateful to have a working kitchen sink after 8 full days of not having one. It is amazing the little things I take for granted every day.


Tosh and I like to play games together while Livvy is napping. She has been going down for a nap later and I thought we could try to play something with her. She was really excited to play, but mostly just wanted to play with the pieces:
She is better with puzzles and building with blocks. She is also letting me read to her for longer periods of time (she seems to like books with photos of real babies and with Elmo best).

Hewitt had a track meet on Thursday. We got a call from the school that afternoon telling us that Hewitt had been hit in the face with a tetherball and that we would need to bring in a new shirt and shorts as his were covered in blood. By the time I got to the nurse's office, the bleeding had stopped, but I guess that it started bleeding again several times... His face was a little puffy and I was a little nervous about him running a mile and a half and then going to soccer practice, but he did great.
Good running, Hewitt!
The painters refinished our garage doors and front door this week. The front door was a huge process as they sanded the entire thing down so much I thought that they had put brand new wood pieces up! We are really pleased with the results.

Tosh, Liv and I were surprised on Friday morning to discover this in our driveway after dropping the older boys off at school:


Our backyard is all prepped now to pour concrete. It has rained all weekend, so they are planning to pour this coming Tuesday.

Rob is getting really excited about having a basketball court, as I'm sure you can imagine if you know him at all... It will be nice to have a big place where the kids can play, not only basketball, but to ride bikes and to rollerblade.

Rob and I went out last night to Cheesecake Factory with some friends. We had a really great time, and I loved everything we ordered. Yesterday was a pretty indulgent food day for me, actually. I can't believe I am going to admit this, but I had a Bosa donut for breakfast (buttermilk bar- seriously the best donut I've ever eaten in my life); BBQ chicken pizza for lunch, and then chicken madeira for dinner (with some incredible appetizers too). Delicious. I love food. I've had some allergy issues this week and although I feel fine, I have laryngitis and I sound pretty terrible.

The kids were so squirmy in church today and louder than usual (I think they seem even louder when I can only whisper). Tosh was taking forever to pick a sacrament cup today. Here is how it went:
Tosh: Which one has the most? Does this one have the most (pointing)? Does THIS one have the most? Does THIS one have the most?
Rob (whispering): I don't know.
Me (whispering): Just take one.
Tosh: Does this one have the most?
Rob: Probably (getting impatient); yes, that one has the most.
Tosh (drinks the water): Wow. That didn't seem like it had the most.

Later during the meeting during one of the talks, Tosh says (loudly): "Huh? Did she just say Han Solo?" I have no idea what he heard...



Lastly, here is Hewitt singing. He loves this song and loves singing it. I also have to point out the sweater vest he is wearing that is turned inside out and over a t-shirt. Cute Hewitt!

Rob leaves this Saturday for Malaysia. He will be gone for two weeks!!! I've been able to keep the anxiety to a minimum for the most part. I feel like I have lots to do this week so I feel prepared to be a single mom and on top of everything while he's gone.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Never a dull moment. I loved the story about Tosh and the sacrament. Sounds like my kids.

Tom and Maryana said...

What a blog!!!! Hewitt your song was wonderful.

The Laundry Queen said...

If we arrived home to a backhoe in our driveway, I think Big would faint from excitement-- probably because he would assume we had purchased it for him and he'd get to drive it. He would love to be at your house right now.

Good luck with Rob in Malaysia. I guess maybe he won't get to find out about the baby's birth firsthand from me. I'll give YOU a call, though!

janeannechovy said...

Oh, I laughed out loud about Tosh and the sacrament. HY-sterical. I think he looks lots like you in this set of pictures, too. And way to go Hewitt!!! I can hardly wait to show this video to your cousins tomorrow. Hopefully it will inspire them. :)

Good luck going it alone for two weeks, Tams. Hopefully Rob will treat you to a spa day or something when he comes back.

Perschon Family said...

oh hewitt...that song just made my night! so cute!

i LOVE tosh's buzz! he really does look like a different kid. still handsome as ever!

love your garage and front door paint job! they look awesome!

the toshisms made me laugh. love the 3 yr old stage for that reason!

good luck these next 2 weeks. brody just started his busy traveling time for work and will be gone different places most of march but my anxiety is much less because he's just in the states. i can imagine malasia is a lot to take in. hopefully the 2 weeks will fly by for you and hopefully things will go smoothly while rob is gone!

Sue said...

Hewitt singing totally made me cry!! What a sweetie!