Friday, March 5, 2010

pre-show jitters

I am feeling very nervous. Our "Play in a Day" (Youth Conference) is tomorrow as well as my directing debut (ha, ha). I think that all of the pieces are coming together... I'm really at the "let's just get this over with" stage. To get me in the mood for this little production, I went to the Young Ambassadors show with some of the young women and our YW president last night. As I've probably mentioned a hundred times, I feel quite a disconnect from that world, but it was fun to go and I enjoyed the show quite a bit (better than I thought it would be, and only a couple of "too cheesy" moments for my taste). This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Young Ambassadors, and the show was a tribute of sorts. They showed all sorts of old video clips and photos from former casts and years. I didn't see myself in any photos, but recognized several old friends. I visited briefly with the director (Randy) and musical director (Ron) afterward. Rob and I have to give credit to Ron Simpson for the reason we met and eventually got together. Rob was in Ron's songwriting class at BYU, and he recruited Rob to play the piano in the YA band. Rob and I actually went on our mini-tour to Arizona (of all places) 13 years ago this month. We were hardly even friends at that point, and not interested in each other in the slightest bit. For history's sake, I dug out some old photos and thought I'd share them. After searching through photos I realized that I don't have a photo with Rob and me together from our Arizona tour.

Rob at the Mesa temple:



Me with several of the girls. I am second from the right
(and yes, our tour clothes were horrible!)



Me at a "host family" home in Mesa. The un-tucked shirt is a much better look...



Rob with the band. Why is Rob's baseball cap attached to his belt? Not sure.


After one of the shows with our sweet host family (that's a mic, not a hairnet I'm wearing). Notice that one of the little girls is holding a program and pen for autographs.
Isn't that cute? I was such a *star* back then! :-)

3 comments:

Tom and Maryana said...

Glad you went to the show!

Andi said...

the hat... LOL!

Angela said...

LOL! I would have wanted your autograph too.