My race was last weekend. The boys made the sweetest cards for me. I crawled in bed with Tosh on Thursday night to visit with him before bed and he told me, "I hope you win the race, Mom!" He couldn't understand how I just knew that I wouldn't win. I promised him that I would do my very best and that was all that mattered.
I was in Van 2, so we were lucky enough to get a better night's sleep and later start. I had major nerves for a good 24 hours before I started racing. Waiting ALL DAY to run made for an anxious day. I was runner 11 out of 12. Our van consisted of Alecia and Rob Lundell, David Cope (Alecia's brother--the guy that goes all out for our roller skating party), and Paul and Briana Dommer.
We would generally 'leap frog' with each runner and would drive ahead a few miles, cheer each runner on, and then drive ahead until we met up at each exchange. Doesn't running in the desert look fun?!
We did A LOT of laughing over the weekend. The 'being really tired' was only part of it. David and Rob are too funny and kept things entertaining. Here is David stretching out for his run as we waited for his exchange with Paul:
Alecia had the longest leg of anyone on our team. Her FIRST leg was 13.5 miles! That is over a half marathon--and it was mostly all uphill. She rocked it!
On my first leg (7.5 miles) I watched the sun set and then ran in the dark for about 40 minutes. I was feeling really great and was probably running a little too fast to begin with. Unfortunately for some reason, my right knee really started hurting around mile 3 or 4! It was the only problem I had for the entire race (I stayed very hydrated, and never had any cramping). I was so bummed about my knee, but still did very well and averaged around 10 minute miles over all legs. After we had all finished, we exchanged with Van 1 (they were about 20 min. late--woops!) and then headed to grab some dinner and we went to a hotel to sleep for a couple of hours. We were back up around 1:15 to get ready for the next exchange. It was very cold (high 30's) and dark for our second legs. My knee was so cold and tight and it took about two miles for my knee to warm up and to start feeling a bit numb and better while running. The second two miles of my four mile run were uphill, so I was grateful that running got a bit easier once I felt warm. The sun was just starting to rise as I finished my second leg.
So happy to have completed two out of three!
After Leg 2, we grabbed some breakfast and went to the hotel again to sleep. I wasn't able to sleep at all which was so frustrating! My right knee was a little swollen at this point so I iced it and at least rested for a few hours. Saturday was a gorgeous day (high 60's) and felt very warm while running. At the end of the race we were running through Scottsdale and ended in Tempe. There sure were quite a few hills!
One of my goals was to stay hydrated. My team laughed at how much I used the porta-potties (every single exchange and often twice!). I never quite got passed the nerves, but it got better.
Briana, Alecia and me right after Alecia's last run:
Our 'baton' was a wrist band that you would snap on the next person to go. My last exchange with Rob:
And I'm off (with a little limp):
My last run was about 5.5 miles. I was really hurting on the first mile and was doing this crazy shuffle any time I had to go downhill so I wouldn't have to bend my knee. The team stopped to give me water with about two miles left and I was feeling better (numb knee) and running strong!
Aww, cute married couple. Briana on the very last leg!
Our entire team was at the finish line and jogged in with Briana at the very end. It felt like a great accomplishment, and so fun sharing it with awesome friends!
My first medal--ever! :)
Twelve people, 202 miles! Team "And I ran...I ran so far away" at the finish!!!
4 comments:
I'm so impressed! if I were a runner, this is totally the type of thing I'd love to do. Way to go!
Your legs look totally hot! Hope you figure out what was making your knee hurt--shoes?
How fun! Your pics make me want to get out and run. I agree that your legs are rocking! You are a skinny, in shape mama! I haven't checked blogs for a while and always look forward to your updates and cute pics. Your boys are cute as ever but I gotta say...Liv just OOZES personality and cuteness in her pics. Maybe it is because I have "gotten to know her" only on your blog but she is just a treat!
Congrats! That is so awesome that you were able to do this. You look amazing.
Post a Comment