Sunday, April 29, 2012

thirteen years later...

Rob and I 'celebrated' our 13th wedding anniversary on Tuesday.  I use the word 'celebrate' loosely since Rob was hit with the flu on Monday and I got it on Tuesday.  I was thinking about all of the ups and downs we've shared over the last 13 years together, and feel very thankful that our journey together has mostly been filled with "ups."   I think I mentioned that we finally got around to decorating the walls of our bedroom--including some of my favorite photos from our wedding day:

Last week in my blog post, I wrote about how Liv threw up (just once on Saturday night), and then seemed fine--just tired and kept food down on Sunday morning.  Well Rob and I have been taking turns going to church since we've had someone sick for an entire month.  Our plan was for Rob to take the boys to Sacrament Meeting and then I was going to swap him in the parking lot so I could go to Primary--my turn to teach sharing time.  Well, Tosh gave his first talk in primary last week.  He did such a great job and was able to read the entire thing by himself while I held up different pictures of Jesus.  Rob watched him practice and made a comment about really wanting to watch Tosh give his talk.  We decided that I would arrive with Liv at the end of Sacrament meeting (I usually get to primary early to set up the room before Sacrament Meeting is over), and then Rob would watch Tosh give his talk (I was conducting and changed things around so Tosh could go very first) and then leave with Liv.  Well, I got to the primary room to set up and sat Liv on the floor at the front of the room while I started getting the room ready.  We had been there about 30 seconds when suddenly Liv (you guessed it) threw up all over the carpet!  I have never had a kid throw up in a public place.  It was madness.  I got her cleaned up and then sat her in the back by a garbage can while I scrubbed the mess up.  The Primary President was out because of knee surgery and the other counselor wasn't there the first hour of primary so I was sort of on my own, but I pulled it together and was able to get everything under control and cleaned up before the little kids came running in.  Most of the teachers told me (after church) that they would have had no clue about what had happened.  I guess my years of being on stage helps me hide how frazzled I feel on the inside sometimes :).  To wrap up the story, of course Liv never threw up again (thankfully).   I am happy to say our entire family is healthy (knock on wood) as of today!!!

Getting back to the week, it was overcast and rainy on Wednesday (I think?).  Tosh and Liv thought it was great that I let them put on swimsuits to go out in the rain, although the temperature dropped into the 60s so they were "freezing."  Tosh discovered that he left a toy water gun out in the rain and ran to grab it.  I thought this pic of him running back looks so funny--like he was pretending to be a soldier or something (he wasn't):



Cute Tosh with raindrops on his face:


The sun came out later that afternoon and our pool guy was here and fixed our fountains (we have had him replace all of our pumps and several thing on the pool).  The fountains haven't been turned on in about a year and a half maybe?  I don't think Liv would remember them ever working.  The kids were so excited to go swimming even though it had been cold that day and the water was VERY cold.  I got some fun shots though.  Burke was cracking me up and being very funny.  I have named the next few shots...

The Finish Line:


Singing in the Shower:


Guitar Hero:

Liv loves the water and didn't seem too fazed by the temperature:

Hewitt swam for a bit and then tried to warm up on the concrete.  I think this is such a cute photo--purple lips and all:


Each quarter Burke does a book report/project with oral report for his class.  This quarter he had to pick a Newberry Award winner, and chose the book "Holes."  I had read this with (to) him a year or two ago.  We went to the library on Thursday night and he had the entire book read before he went to bed.  For his project he thought it would be cool to make a Muppet-style puppet of Stanley (main character from the book) and then Burke will pretend to be a reporter and will interview Stanley for his class presentation.  Burke watched several videos on how to make a puppet and then we bought supplies on Friday night.  We worked on the puppet for a few hours on Saturday morning and Burke did a great job learning how to use a sewing machine.  I told him that using the pedal was similar to driving a car.  I love this photo of Burke working on the puppet:



We aren't quite finished yet, but meet Stanley:

This next picture says it all!  Look at Tosh's face when Stanley talks to him.  I love it!

Rob and I got a babysitter on Saturday and went out to lunch (we weren't able to eat anything on our anniversary much less go out) and to the temple.  When we got back the kids went swimming.  It was much warmer! I pulled out some new goggles and the kids were excited.

Tosh reminded us of Spider Man!
 Hewitt swimming with his new goggle mask:
 Liv got a little cold as you can tell...

 She was so excited about the "waterfall" and loved sticking her hand and foot in it:

"Spidey" jumps to the rescue (Hewitt is helping me write this now)! 

We ended up having a late(r) dinner after swimming and were finishing up around 7:00.  I asked Burke to check on Liv since I hadn't seen or heard from her in a while.  We laughed when we discovered her sound asleep right in the family room.  All that swimming will wear a girl out! 


One other funny thing:  When we gathered the kids together for family prayers before bed last night, Tosh asked what day he was born.  I said, "You were born on a Wednesday, Burke was born on a Monday, Hewitt was born on a Saturday, Liv was born on a Sunday, and Dad and I were born on Tuesday."  Tosh said, "No, what date was I born?"  Rob said, "You were born on May 30th--you know that."  Tosh said (in a shocked and very excited voice), "I was born on my BIRTHDAY?!?!"

So cute!  Sure love these kids of ours...



3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Glad you're all feeling better! Awesome pictures and super funny last story. What good luck that we're born on our birthdays, it makes the date easier to remember. ; )

Sue said...

Love those kids of yours too!

janeannechovy said...

Sorry to hear about the barfies! No fun, especially on what's supposed to be a special day. Looking forward to seeing you guys NEXT MONTH! Tosh is awesome. I will tell Cindy Lou that he read his primary talk, and maybe that will help motivate her to get over the reading hump.