Sunday, April 22, 2012

hitting 100

So it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted and it looks as though Blogger has changed it's format (we'll see how this turns out!). 

So LAST weekend, the older boys and I got out our roller blades and had some fun playing roller hockey in our backyard.  It is fun to watch them get better at new things.

We had them do some shucking for the first corn on the cob of the season.  We are getting watermelon and all sorts of summer foods here.

Tosh has been very ill--probably the worst in his life.  I mentioned in my post two weeks ago that his asthma was very bad and they suspected pneumonia (didn't do an x-ray).  Well, he caught the stomach flu on top of that and threw up from a week ago last Wednesday until Monday morning.  I took him to the doctor (again) last Monday and wasn't surprised when he weighed over 2 pounds less than he had the week before.  They sent me for an x-ray as his lungs were "a total disaster" to quote the doctor.  Yes, it is pneumonia, and we will need to do another x-ray in a week or two.  So, Tosh did a second round of antibiotics and steroid treatments.  He is finally doing much better. 

Here are some silly shots we took of the kids playing around last Saturday night:

Tosh had taken a three hour nap on the couch, but perked up to laugh at the kids making "static hair"

This is a cute dress that Liv's 13-yr-old cousin wore to Aunt Sue's wedding reception.  With her hair in a high pony tail she looked very "60's" to me:

Liv's different faces crack me up! What a ham she can be.

So, this week was our third week of having someone sick and me feeling "stuck" at home without taking the kids out to do much of anything.  Hewitt got the stomach flu and was home from school on Tuesday and Wednesday throwing up and with a fever.   I have tried to stay busy with a couple of easy projects so I don't go too crazy in my somewhat "Groundhog Day" life (where everyday feels like I clean the house and prepare and clean up meals over and over...).  I saw this cute idea on Pinterest and thought it would be perfect for the wall on Liv's room by her bed where I don't have anything.  Liv LOVES butterflies and I was able to make these (2 sided butterflies) with paper that I had on hand.  Turned out really cute and Liv loves looking up at them while she is in bed.

So it has hit the 100s already!  All of the kids were healthy enough to swim yesterday.  Rob even got in and said that the water felt great--cool and refreshing and not too cold.  I was so happy that Tosh was able to swim several lengths of the pool and never started coughing.  This second round of meds is obviously working!
I love these cute pictures of Liv just after she got out of the pool yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, she got sick and threw up about 15 minutes before I was going to pick up the babysitter so Rob and I could go out to dinner last night (Liv had a bit of a fever on Thursday, but then seemed fine on Friday and all day yesterday).   She had an ok night and is keeping food down, but is super tired.  Looks like today will be week 4 of someone staying home from church sick.

Yesterday morning, my friend Alecia and I (and her hubby, Rob) did the Pat Tillman 4.2 mile run.  I had been super nervous about it all week thinking I would get the flu and not be able to do it (or have it hit me during the race--can you imagine!).  My right knee has been hurting off and on the last couple of weeks--especially when I run any hills or incline.  My time from last year was 37:01 and I had a secret hope to beat my time, and told Rob a while back that I would love to get the time of 35 min, but didn't think that would be possible this year.  Well, I tried to push myself pretty hard (the race is in Tempe around Sun Devil stadium and it is lots of uphill running).  I was really excited when I looked up my time yesterday afternoon and saw that my official time was 35:18.  I have to laugh that while I am running any race I am thinking, "Why am I doing this?  I hate this!" but then as soon as it's over I am looking forward to the next race.  Strange. 

p.s.  Alecia and I have joked all year about the fact that when I sprinted at the end of the race LAST year, I got trapped (super crowded) and sort of cut her off on accident and ended up beating her time by ONE second!  Well this year she toasted me by almost a full two minutes!  She is trying to talk me in to doing a marathon in October.  I have no desire for anything like that... maybe someday (like when all of my kids are in school all day).  We will see. 

After I got home from the race we spent the morning cleaning up and vaccuming the house.  Burke put together this aweome 'bed' of pillows and blankets (that I felt like staying in all day, but didn't).  Here is a cute pic of all of the kids testing it out:

4 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Woah! Sorry about all the sickness you guys have been experiencing, and I'm glad Tosh is getting better. Scary stuff. I love that dress of Pen's that Liv is wearing! It was one of my favorites and it looks adorable on her. I have to laugh that even with so much sickness going on you were still able to accomplish that cute project in Liv's room. I am such a slacker compared to you. When my kids are sick I kind of sit around on pins and needles waiting for the next barf. Good for you. ; )

janeannechovy said...

I'm with Jana on the barf-induced paralysis! And sooo glad Tosh is feeling better. You know, our formerly-skinny nephew Joseph was kind of sickly when he was Tosh's age--just seemed to get every bug that went around and they would turn nasty and bronchial or worse. And look at him now! STRAPPING. :) Hopefully Tosh will turn out the same way.

The Laundry Queen said...

That's just what I was going to call it-- 'barf-induced paralysis'! Instead, Tams experiences barf-induced butterflies (and other projects). Hers is a much better affliction.

Sue said...

Love the butterflies!! Great way to go. :)