Monday, October 17, 2011

fall break: week two

We loaded up the kids and drove to Utah a week ago Saturday. We actually made our very best time and arrived in 9 hours and 50 minutes. We literally stopped only once in Page, AZ for only 20 minutes to get gas and to use the restroom (I had packed food in the cooler). Way to go kids! Liv even napped for about an hour. Amazing!



We were able to spend the week with my parents in American Fork. I took some photos of my parents on Sunday. Doesn't my mom look wonderful, not to mention beautiful? You're looking good as well, Dad :).

I've gotten lots of e-mails and calls regarding my mom's health lately. Thank you for your love, prayers and concern on her behalf. My mom seemed to have more energy last week than when I last saw her in August (she is eating more), which was a very good thing. I was able to go and sit with her for chemo on Wednesday, and it was just great to be with my folks in their home and to spend time visiting.

I haven't gone into much detail on my blog about the specifics of what is going on with her medically. Who wants to talk or write about yucky cancer?! She has Stage IV pancreatic cancer, and they discovered on Friday that she has blood clots in her leg which has been causing pain and swelling. My folks are troopers and are maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humor.

I love you, Mom!!!

We were able to visit with Rob's folks and two of his sisters and their families on Friday evening before we returned home on Saturday. The kids had fun playing with cousins and going fishing with Grandpa Pete. Unfortunately we got stuck in traffic for an hour just outside of PHX and so the ride home took 12 hours.

One funny thing from the trip: Hewitt discovered Grandma Sycamore's Bread at my parents' house and fell in love! Once when Rob offered him a second piece he said, "I just can't get enough of it!" Thankfully my mom sent us home with an entire loaf and on our drive home Hewitt called out from the back seat, "Can I get some GSB?"

5 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

It was so great to see you! That GSB is what forever ruined Pen for wheat bread. She had it for the first time at my folks' house when she was 3 (her first ever white bread) and after finishing it said, "Can I have another piece of that cake?" She and Hewitt must be related. ; ) Oh, and I love your Mom's dress-- she looks fantastic.

The Laundry Queen said...

Or is it a sweater with a skirt? Anyway, it's super on her.

janeannechovy said...

Yeah, Maryana, you look great!

For my kids, Grandma Sycamore's is a special treat they only get at Grandma and Grandpa's house. :)

It sounds like a wonderful trip!

Tom and Maryana said...

It was great having y'all here. We love you!!!!

-Loni said...

You're mom is beautiful! I can see the resemblence too! I hope she recovers well! I miss Grandma Sycamore's bread so much. Nothing out here compares. I've heard they started making wheat bread too. We have some Utah transplants out here in MN that have family members ship them loaves of that bread.