Saturday, September 11, 2010

central vac: i just met you, but can't live without you

Our industrial-style upright vacuum started dying a slow death last month. Technically it still worked, but the suction wasn't what it used to be and the sound was deafening. We took it to be repaired and learned that we could buy a new one for the cost of fixing it. Unfortunately the same could be said about our central vacuum; zero suction, lots of noise. It hasn't worked since we moved in, and never having had one, I was just fine with my upright with extra long cord.

We started shopping around for vacuums and eventually thought to look into repairing the central vac. The first guy that came to look at it tried to sell us the "Mercedes" of vacuums (a couple thousand). He told us that our current vac was garbage and needed to be replaced. He was persuasive crossing into pushy, "You don't know vacuums (imagine with thick accent). I know vacuums!" Rob did some online investigation and found out that ours is actually a good model and so he called a different company that could repair it. We were able to replace the motor and get a new hose for the price of a standard upright, and voila! I LOVE IT! I am now asking myself the question the repair guy told me I would ask: How did I ever live without this?

The kids love using it because it's lightweight (and let's be honest, it's a novelty) and because it plugs into each room. It's quiet, has great suction, and makes the floors look great. There is a special attachment for my tile and it makes me never want to use a broom and dust pan ever again (let alone the three to four times a day that I'm used to). I realize that this is something odd to go on about, but it's creating more joy in my journey.

Look, Tosh cleaning up his own mess:

Look at that smile. We could do infomercials! :) And there you have it.

4 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Awesome. Now I want it, too. ; ) Way to sell it!

Angela said...

That is funny. I have a little vacuum I use in the kitchen and Noah loves to push it around so I turn it on and let him go wild.

Carla said...

Broom and dust pan 3 times a day? You need a dog!

Tom and Maryana said...

WOW, way to go...