Monday, August 23, 2010

weekend in colorado

I was able to get away for a little reunion last weekend with some of the girls I grew up singing with. We did a similar gathering four years ago (which was the last time I left my kids to go anywhere solo...), but decided we needed a little more time together this year.

One of my dearest and oldest friends (Lori) picked me up from the airport on Thursday morning. We grabbed some lunch and made a brief stop at her home before heading up to Frisco, CO (near Breckenridge and Vail) to stay at her parents' condo for two nights. There were five of us staying together at the condo (Leslie, Erin, and Jessica) and we had a great time visiting and catching up. It was very cool and rainy that first night which was a really great change. Friday was a beautiful day. We went for a little hike and then did some shopping on Main street in Frisco. We went out to dinner for some awesome pizza before heading home to soak in the hot tub and watch a movie.

With so many cameras there, I didn't get very many photos with mine... Here is one that I took with my timer (just set the camera on top of a garbage can) on our walk home from shopping. I think it turned out pretty cute. I loved the wild flowers up there!

(From left to Right, Jessica, Leslie, me, Erin, and Lori)
We were able to visit with each other's parents while we were together (personally or with Skype), which was really fun. After spending literally hundreds and hundreds of hours together as kids, we not only feel like sisters, but connected to each other's families as well. After leaving Frisco, we stopped by Janet's house for lunch. Janet was our director for years as well as Leslie's mom (and a second mom to us). It was really interesting when we realized that she was about our age when we were all performing in high school, which was a little odd! Oh the things our directors put up with over the years with all the drama that teenage girls can create!

Our friend Shelby was able to join us on Saturday as well, with her new baby boy. Shelby and Lori and I started singing together when we were nine years old!

Saturday night, we gathered with a larger group of performing friends at one of our favorite restaurants in Ft. Collins (Young's). We laughed about old times and missed those that couldn't make it this year (yes, that's you Lindsay and Britt, among other friends that we miss and love).

(Shelby, Erin, Jessica, Melanie, Leslie, Jessica, Chris, Julie, Emily, Me, and Lori)

A bunch of us stayed the night at Shelby's house and stayed up really late talking and watching old videos. I'll note that this trip made me feel somewhat old because it was the first time in my life that I had a really hard time getting to sleep (all three nights) and I was the first one awake every morning (around 7AM). I guess I can't blame getting up early on my kids anymore. On the flip side, being together with these friends is wonderful because we are able to pick up right where we left off as if no time had passed at all. I love these people and am grateful for the great experiences we've shared together.

I headed back to Denver on Sunday morning with Leslie. I went to church with her and then was able to spend a few hours with my brother Mark and his family before heading to the airport. (I am just realizing that I didn't think to take any photos of my cute nieces and nephew.) My kids were really sad that I visited cousins without them! It would have been fun to have the whole family with me, but have to say how nice it was to have some time alone and to spend time on the flight reading and just sitting there in silence. Ahhh.

The weekend was really great. I loved being in the mountains, wearing a sweatshirt, laughing and crying with old friends, and feeling ready to get back to my kiddos and Rob. Thanks to Robbie for letting me take this little "Girl's Trip." He took two days off work to be home with the kids, and kept the house and everything together, including taking a trip to Urgent care (Tosh got an ear infection on Sat.). Thanks, hon. You're the best!

Hope to see all my girls again in another 3-4 years!

8 comments:

Tom and Maryana said...

It was great seeing y'all!!!!

The Laundry Queen said...

What a great time! I'm so glad you got to do it. It makes my girls'-getaway track record of never-in-fifteen-years feel like it needs to be broken! ; )

janeannechovy said...

Amen to that, LQ!

John R said...

Looks like a great trip! You have a good husband and kids. Patti and I got away 8 yrs in and left 3 kids with her mother for 9 days. We couldn't stop thinking about the kids but really didn't worry too much.

Carla said...

I wanna go!! Fun, fun!

Britt said...

Ok, next time I am definately going to be there. It sounds like it was a blast and you guys all look great!

Sue said...

Tamsen, you look HOT! Seriously, you look really good. I'm inspired, now I'm going to workout. :)

Perschon Family said...

I agree with Sue! You look amazing! Every picture you post I think, wow...she is so pretty! And I too am inspired to go workout...