Sunday, May 9, 2010

burke's birthday bash and other notables

Yesterday we had Burke's birthday party. It really turned out to be a lot of fun and about as simple (easy) as it gets.

We decided on a pool theme and had ice cream sundaes instead of cake, per Burke's request. The kids had a great time and we didn't even need some of the games I had planned because the boys were so occupied and having fun coming up with things to do on their own. A couple of boys weren't able to make it, but I think the ones that were there had a lot of fun. Each boy took home a beach ball and a bag of Skittles (Burke's favorite candy) with a note thanking them for coming and saying "Hope you had a ball!" Here are just some of the photos:
I LOVE this next one of the birthday kid! He polished his ice cream off without a problem.

We do "friend" birthday parties for our kids every other year. I'm thinking we'll do a pool party for Hewitt this October since it will still be very warm here then. As I was typing that last line I asked Hewitt if he wants a pool party for his birthday this year and he smiled and said, "Yeah! What kind of cool stuff?" thinking that I said "cool" party instead of "pool" party...

Burke had quite the day yesterday. He started out by attending a friend's birthday party at a local park. They ate pizza and played soccer and other games. We decorated while Burke was gone which was fun for him to return home to. He got home just about 20 min before his own party started! As soon as our party was over, we got cleaned up and headed to our Stake Fair. There were all sorts of games, booths, inflatable bounce houses, slides, free snow cones, popcorn, food, prizes, face painting, etc. The kids had a lot of fun!

We were there right when the fair started so there were no lines. Hewitt sat down at the face painting area and when they asked him what he wanted, he surprised everyone by saying, "A moustache!" in a matter-of-fact sort of way.

Tosh requested a bear and they did his entire face (I was expecting them to draw a little bear on his cheek or something). We had a fun time at the fair and the kids were worn out after such a busy day. This photo of Tosh was just before bath/bed. His face paint had already rubbed off quite a bit:


I got a couple of cute photos this week of Tosh and Liv playing together. She loves to be pushed around on this little "roller coaster" seat.


Ready, Set,
GO!!!

I got some nice Mother's Day surprises today including a home made picture holder with photo of Burke, and a matching macaroni necklace and bracelet from Hewitt (that I proudly wore to church today). We were also able to talk to both of our mothers via Skype today which was nice.

It is strange to think that I had a baby on Mother's Day one year ago. I can't believe that Liv will turn one tomorrow; the year has certainly flown by! Tonight when I snuggled and kissed Liv goodnight, I got all teary and thanked her for making the past year one of the best years of my life (p.s. thanks Mom for the "leaky eye" gene). I am so thankful for the joy that I have found in motherhood (and the patience I have found along the way), and wish the same joy for every woman out there.

I am grateful for such wonderful women in my life: My mother, mother-in-law, sister, sisters-in-law, aunts, friends (many that I consider sisters), and also my sweet daughter. Thank you for your love, example and friendship. Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

Tom and Maryana said...

Ditto!

Angie said...

Your blog always makes me laugh. Love Hewitt's moustache! We've been talking about you guys a lot around here- Burke's birthday party, Liv's birthday coming up. I can't believe she's going to be one.

janeannechovy said...

I think Hewitt wanted to go to the Cinco de Mustachio party with us!

Glad you had a good Mothers' Day!

The Laundry Queen said...

Wow! Sounds like your yesterday was as busy as ours! We had Bud's friend party yesterday, too. Guess I'd better get on the ball and post about it! ; )

Love all the pictures, and Hewitt's mustache is awesome. We'll be thinking of Liv tomorrow while we celebrate for Big.

Angela said...

It is hard to believe that Liv is 1, Kobi turned 9 today. Burke's party looked so fun and I loved the ice-cream sundae idea. I was thinking the other day that I never could have imagined how much I would enjoy being a mother. It is full of joy and many moments that require patience but I would not wish for anything else. Miss you guys.