I got an idea while looking at this cute cross-stitch that my SIL made me, for a new "theme" for our Family Home Evenings:
These virtues are exactly what I want our family to be working on. We are going to focus on one per week, and I chose to start with "Be Positive." I spent a couple of hours on Monday afternoon preparing for our "Bee" kick-off. Tosh and I printed and cut out a bee representing each virtue and the older boys helped create our beehive:
I also made a "last-minute" cake because as everyone knows, the treat is always the favorite part of Family Night.
In addition to our lesson plans, we thought we'd try to get in a little family activity before dinner. Since Burke, Hewitt and I are taking tennis lessons, we went over to the Jr. High to use the tennis courts there. We had parked between the courts and the baseball field (where there was a boys' baseball game going on). As we were loading up to return home, I was focused on keeping Tosh from running out into the street and got hit by a foul baseball! I was sandwiched between our van and another car and it caught me completely off guard. The ball hit me on my left shoulder and I fell to the ground. A few people ran over to see if I was okay (including a woman in nursing school that I visit teach) and it was quite embarrassing, really. I was so grateful that it did not hit Hewitt or Tosh (standing on either side if me) and that I wasn't hit in the face/head. My arm went numb after the initial contact, but I got very sore that evening and I could hardly move my shoulder or arm on Tuesday. It's only bothering me a little now; I'm glad it was my non-dominant arm.
Hewitt, Tosh and Liv have all been sick this week with colds and coughs. Nothing too terrible, but we've had to do some nebulizer (Albuterol) treatments for Hewitt. He has been taking medicine (an inhaler treatment) daily for his Asthma since August and he has been so much healthier this winter. His cough doesn't sound that great, but it hasn't slowed him down at all. He is constantly doing somersaults (forward and backward) and flips on the tramp. I am looking into tumbling classes as I think it would be perfect for him!
I have felt a wave of "Spring Fever" this week. I can feel the weather getting warmer and it's been in the 70's during the day and I love it. The kids have been playing outside a lot and Tosh and Hewitt love exploring in our "jungle" as they call it.
We have some friends (Susan and Dennis) in our ward that love our kids and save the bench in front of them every Sunday for us to sit in. They are so nice to our kids and love Tosh especially. In fact, they brought us some homemade hot fudge sauce for Christmas and also a book set for our kids! Anyway, the other day in the car Tosh asked, "Where does Grandpa live?" When I asked which Grandpa he said, "Grandpa Moustache!" He was talking about Dennis and it really made me laugh.
Tosh was watching his brothers play soccer in the backyard and said, "The name of my soccer team is Jack in the Box!"
Tosh was watching his brothers play soccer in the backyard and said, "The name of my soccer team is Jack in the Box!"
Liv has been a trooper this week. She is cutting her first tooth (bottom left) and is still so happy even with her constant runny nose, cough and an ear infection. I was so glad that I followed my instinct to take her to the doctor on Friday as I had no idea that her ear was hurting (I was worried about her lungs). That night she went to bed at 6pm, and woke up crying about a half hour later. I just rocked her for a few minutes and then she went back to sleep and slept (without waking) until 7:30am! I was anticipating a really bad night.
Liv is rolling all over the place and fast. She gets up on her knees like she is going to crawl, but just rocks back and forth before dropping back to her stomach. I am on constant "Lego patrol" making sure that the floor is clear.

Her hair is really coming in in the back and the top is getting a little longer. After her bath last night I amused the boys by attaching this Ziplock-type bow to her hair that was sticking up.



Her hair is really coming in in the back and the top is getting a little longer. After her bath last night I amused the boys by attaching this Ziplock-type bow to her hair that was sticking up.
Hewitt really likes there to be something in Liv's hair and will tell me, "now people will know she's a girl!"
Burke still hasn't lost his other front tooth, although it is ready to go. He thought it was cool when I told him he could drink his smoothie through the hole in his teeth.
The most "eventful" part of our week happened on Thursday. Rob came home a little early to work from home so he could be here to talk to our pool guy (we have to replace the filter pump and motor--$$$ ouch!). I took Tosh to run some errands since Rob was here and the baby was asleep. I've been letting Burke walk home from the bus stop the last few weeks with some neighbors in our ward (a boy in Burke's Primary class, and his older brother and 11 yr-old sister). When I returned home, I learned that while Burke was walking home, his friend told him to throw a rock at a truck going by. Burke did it (gasp) and it shattered the driver's side window! Burke ran in the door crying and started to tell Rob what happened just as the doorbell rang. It was our neighbor, of course. Luckily the glass did not fall in on him and he wasn't hurt. He was so cool about the whole thing (THANK HEAVEN!). I can not tell you how shocked and disappointed Rob and I were about this incident. Burke is such a good kid. A little moody lately, yes, but an excellent student, never in trouble at school, etc. The window cost $200 to replace. On top of losing several privileges for a month, Burke will be doing extra work to earn the money to pay us back. Now that a few days have passed since this incident, I am still very sad and upset about what happened, but am able to see that maybe it will be good for Burke to learn this expensive lesson while really young. Maybe he will think twice when faced with peer pressure in the future. The other positive outcome is that Burke could stand to learn to work a little harder than he's used to. Yesterday, he cleaned out and vacuumed both of our cars on top of some other housework. We couldn't help but notice that he was in a much better mood after completing all of his work and was kinder to the entire family. I should mention that when we were discusssing how Burke was going to earn the $200, he told me, "I think you should give me $11 an hour!" Tough luck. I think it will be more like $1 per hour. I will also be picking Burke up from the bus stop again (and am feeling guilty about the fact that if I had picked him up on Thursday, this entire thing would not have happened... What is parenthood without some guilt, right?). This week for Family Home Evening, our focus will be, "Be SMART!"
I love this cute hoodlum:

Other notes from the week: After complaining for years about how uncomfortable our bed is, we finally upgraded (to a king) and I love it.
I love this cute hoodlum:
Other notes from the week: After complaining for years about how uncomfortable our bed is, we finally upgraded (to a king) and I love it.
We also got a new large sectional for our family room and I told Rob's sister that I would post some photos so here they are (they helped us decide on both items while they were here visiting for Christmas). We moved our old couches upstairs into our loft and it is great to have some furniture up there in addition to our exercise equipment (It's a perfect place for me to fold laundry now).
8 comments:
What a week you had!
Love the pictures, love the furniture, the cake, the beehive....
I'm always amazed at how much better my kids' attitudes are when they've chipped in. I have to get my kids to help out more, too, but hopefully we won't have to pay for a broken truck window to make it happen! Sorry about that.
Whew! I get tired just reading that!
We've instituted (finally!) an allowance scheme for Newton. He has a whole list of things he can do to earn points, and when he gets 25 points he gets an allowance payment--a dollar for every year he is old. He hasn't earned enough for a payment yet, probably because he doesn't have anything he's dying to buy. :) He can also get points subtracted if he really misbehaves (which we haven't had to do yet). Anyway, it's made a difference, or maybe it's just that he's maturing, but he's been more pleasant lately.
Wow! What an eventful week!!! Unfortunately I think we learn the most from the mistakes we actually make. I'm sure it is one he will never forget. I can't believe how big Liv is getting. And I'm totally jealous of your house and weather. Gorgeous! I love your "thrown together" cake and family home evening idea. You are such a great mom!
The bed and sectional look great! Thanks for posting the pics. :-.) Wow what a week, crazy stuff! Love the pictures.
so fun to catch up on this blog and hear more of what is going on in your life. that is quite the shocker from burke...he is such a great kid and i agree...gerat for him to learn that lesson while young!!
love your bed (something i'm looking forward to someday!) and i love your sectional. it is the same style as our sectional downstairs except yours is all leather (great idea). We have LOVED ours. so practical with how you can rearrange it and so comfortable.
and of course i love your wall with your photos. that is something i always noticed when i was at your house...you have GREAT pictures up! you have a talent for capturing precious moments!
and i forgot to say that i LOVE your B FHE idea. i've been struggling with being creative in the FHE area, so i just may copy you! thanks for the great idea
(and a side note...when Brody first got home from his mission, I made him a card with the B's on it and i spelled "Be Grateful" as Be Greatful. AND...i left one of the B's off on accident. Talk about failing to impress (I was trying to do something cute and spiritual with his b-day card since he had just got home from a mission) so the B's have a funny memory for me.
Amy-
Brody is "greatful" and I believe you have a lot to do with that.
;-)
Post a Comment