Sunday, November 29, 2009

post turkey recap

This week flew by. Probably because there were so many things going on and tons of things we didn't have time to get to.

Rob's birthday was fairly mellow. Rob had gone out to eat for a work lunch on Wednesday so he was absolutely stuffed and didn't really want to eat dinner that night. We had gone out to eat last weekend for his "birthday dinner" and since we were having such a big dinner on Thursday, we kept it simple and grabbed a pizza. We also had Rob's favorite chocolate cake for dessert. Burke and Hewitt spent a lot of time writing a book (with illustrations) for Rob's gift. It was about two kids (Kirk and Truit) that were celebrating their Dad's birthday. They also wanted to make Rob coupon books so we did one from each of the kids. My present to Rob was an electric guitar that he's been playing for a few weeks now... I wore my pink "Fender" t-shirt on Wednesday just so Rob wouldn't forget about his already opened gift.

We were thinking we were going to have our "first turkey" alone this Thanksgiving, but while I was visiting with some women from the ward at the park last week, someone mentioned they were going to be alone too. The second she said that, I "channeled" my mother and blurted out, "Why don't you join us?" It was funny because just the night before I was telling Rob that I wasn't going to invite anyone since this was my first time doing this "big production" meal and I was worried about it not turning out great... Anyway, they are a nice family (they have one 4-year-old son) and so it actually made it great that it wasn't a lot of other people to cook for, yet seemed to make the "work" more worthwhile. I had them bring a fruit salad and rolls. She also brought a frozen cranberry dish that was sort of like a sherbet. Burke LOVED it and told Rob, "It's like my new favorite food." Our turkey was really, really good. Very tender and moist. Everything else was great too. It seemed much easier than I expected, but I guess I make mashed potatoes and gravy enough that it didn't seem that different. I did chocolate mousse pie for dessert and we ended up serving Rob's birthday cake as well. I didn't do pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie because I was trying to keep it simple. I really missed them though so we'll add those in at Christmas. I didn't have a centerpiece for the table so I went outside and cut some hot pink and orange flowers. It seemed a little odd to be able to cut flowers for Thanksgiving but I thought it looked nice; festive and simple.


We spent Friday and Saturday doing things around the house and running some small errands. We played at the park on Friday afternoon and the boys got "too hot" playing soccer with Rob. It was a little warmer this week than it has been (upper 70's instead of low 70's). I put the Christmas tree up during the BYU/Utah game yesterday and having the Christmas stuff up does help me get into the season. I complained to Rob that my forearms were getting all scratched up and then I realized that I'm not used to putting up the tree in short sleeves. I have a goal to finish our stockings by Christmas. I've been waiting to do it until our four kids are all here.

Other notes: Liv is starting to bounce when she is happy. It's like she figured out how to do it in her exersaucer so now she does it while she is playing on the floor, nursing, etc. She is getting really funny and also does a "panting" noise when she is excited. I'm so interested in how her personality will develop. She eats three meals a day now and is starting to eat veggies and fruit as well as cereal.

Tosh calls himself "Toshie-Losh" a lot of the time now. If I call him Tosh Robert, he will say, "I not Tosh Robert, I Toshie-Losh." Rob's nephew Jake called Tosh that this summer and wrote "Tosh-a-Losh" on Tosh's paper cup... I don't know how Tosh remembered that, but he says it a lot now. We've also discovered that he knows how to add (single digits). He is always surprising us and making us laugh for one reason or another.

Hewitt figured out how to do front flips on our trampoline and taught Burke how. They land on their backs/bum for now, but I'm guessing that Hewitt will be landing on his feet soon. I think he would do really well in a tumbling class. His legs are so strong. He will hop on one foot on the tramp forever. Have you tried that? It's tough. His black eye is now very yellow so it's almost healed.

Burke enjoyed watching football with Rob yesterday. I think that he understands the rules better than me now (all the different penalties drive me crazy!). He is also very interested in learning Christmas songs. He pulled out the hymn book and our big book of Christmas songs and wants us to sing them all the time. He is so shy to sing in front of anyone else (he won't even sing in the primary program), so I hope he gets over that soon because he has a nice voice.

It was great to talk to both sets of missionary parents on Skype this week. Rob's name is "mulberryrob" if anyone else is interested in chatting...if for no other reason, you should call to talk to Hewitt. He is really funny on the phone. He got talking to my parents about Lego Star Wars and asked them if they have it. When they said no, he said, "Maybe Santa will bring it to you if Grandma has a baby!"

I had a moment yesterday (while I was pulling out the Christmas decorations), when I felt an overwhelming feeling of gratitude, love and happiness. I have so much to be thankful for and am blessed to have such a great life and family. Just thought I would share that.

Anyway, here are a few photos from the week. I even got some of ALL of my sweeties. It's actually much harder than it seems:


4 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

I'm glad you had such a great Thanksgiving! The pictures are great. We miss you guys.

janeannechovy said...

Awesome! Next time we Skype it will have to be before all the kids' bedtimes. :)

Angie said...

That comment Hewitt made to your mom made me laugh. Glad to hear you had a good holiday.

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.