Sunday, November 8, 2009

My turn

Well, Tamsen asked me to write this week's update, so here I am. I'm sure you're thrilled about becoming acquainted with my narrative tone and color.

So, this week...

Let's start with today, since I can still remember that. The McQueen 2nd ward primary program was today. Hewitt and Burke both did admirably at their 'lines' - had them memorized, which was exciting for us - but song participation left a little to be desired. Hewitt was in the front row (where speakers sit for sacrament meeting), and moved his mouth up and down every time there was a song to be sung, but didn't appear to be really singing any of the words, or singing at all. Burke held a program (I think it had the words to the song in it?) in front of his face for each song, until the last one I saw, so we couldn't see him for the entire program. It was just as perfect as I had imagined it.

Other than the feel-good feelings that come with the primary program, the best moment was after the first song. Remember where Hewitt was sitting? Well, in that position, all we could see was basically Hewitt's head. At any rate, as the kids are directed to sit down by the chorister, I see Hewitt's head disappear, followed by two legs and feet sticking up in the air where his head just was - for maybe 5 seconds (until a nearby primary teacher noticed and helped him get unstuck). It was classic. You can picture the folding 'sacrament speaker' seats and imagine exactly what happened, huh?

Yesterday at Burke's game some of the parents got pretty heated. One of the kids on our team took an elbow from a player on the other team. The mom of this kid proceeded to yell at the ref (for the non-call) at the opposing player ("I'm not afraid to take down a seven year old") and her son ("Go get him, Cam! You take him out!"). Her obedient son played the 'man' rather than the ball immediately thereafter, going arm first at the other team, and pushing anyone in a red jersey. The ref stopped the game at that point until everyone settled down, but there were yells from both sidelines. I'm not sure I'm ready for that next competitive level of sports...

The mom apologized - I think a little embarrassed - this morning right before sacrament meeting started.

Tosh is talking more all the time...of course I can't remember what he said this week, but I'm sure at the time I told Tamsen that "...you should put that on the blog." Sigh. But he really is hysterical - honestly. BTW, BTP is over my shoulder and he had me change that last description of TRP from hilarious to the word you see. Love that kid.

Liv is cute, and a really good girl. She doesn't wake up too much in the night, but I'm still excited for November 10, when she is officially 6 months old. That's when Tamsen and I get to stay up watching some show in the middle of the night and crank up the volume when Liv's cries are too loud. Any suggestions on what we should get (you probably recall that '24' got us through Tosh's nights)?

I love my wife and kids!

We had a game night on Friday night at our house with 5 other couples from the ward. Good food, pretty fun game (played Scum - biggest group I've played that with, but it worked) and great company. We're getting to know quite a few people in the ward, but total comfort takes time, I suppose.

At any rate, life is pretty good. I really like the weather here a LOT. Even when it was super-duper hot this summer (which it was), I surprisingly didn't mind because relief is 10 steps out the back door. Burke is telling me he did mind, but he's always been a bit sensitive to the heat. Anyway, right now it's as wonderful as people told us it would be. I am Rog's son, having dedicated an entire paragraph to the weather (and the sad thing is that I want to write more about it, but I'm stopping), aren't I?

OK - that's enough for now - things are pretty nice in AZ and we welcome visitors at any time!

3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

I am so glad you took a turn, Rob! Saying that you would start out with today because you could remember it made me laugh. I totally laughed, too, at you last paragraph. I just got off the phone with John, where he tells me he's wearing a headlamp a la Rog to cook on the grill, and then you pull a Rog with the weather! Hilarious (or should I say hysterical?)

It's good to get your perspective on things-- i think it will help me to get to know you better again. I'm glad you're liking it there. I thought you might.

Tom and Maryana said...

I had a "Fuhriman" moment reading about Hewitt and the Primary program.

janeannechovy said...

Yay Rob! Love to hear from you, too.

And I never remember the cute things my kids say, either. Maybe now if I get on Facebook RIGHT THAT SECOND and post them as my status. Bad short-term memory.