We drove to Fresno, CA to gather with my brothers and their families over the holiday and for New Year's. The kids were so excited to see their cousins. I think these are such cute photos of Truman, Brock and Tosh:
You can tell that Truman feels pretty cool being on the big swing with these older kids:
Tracey gave us the COOLEST gift for Christmas! I thought it was the regular "Guess Who" game, which we don't have so I was pretty excited. Then I open it to discover that she created a Dunning Guess Who of our family with bonus cards since not everyone fits in the game at one time! SO AWESOME! She did a BYU football version for Mark's family. Hilarious!
Scoutmaster Rob and Hewitt had a couple of things to finish up for Hewitt's First Class before the new year, so we all joined then on a nature walk and had fun looking things up and identifying 10 native animals and plants. The cute cousins in a huge tree at the San Joaquin River Parkway Conservatory:
We spotted a Bald Eagle:
Playing at a neighborhood park:
Todd was an awesome uncle and made a pinewood derby car with Tosh (I think he misses having a cub scout). Thanks, Todd!
The adults and teenagers went on a fun outing in downtown Clovis: we went shopping (mostly browsed antique shops) and then out to lunch at Dog House Grill--best sandwiches ever (I think I blogged about their BBQ steak sandwiches back in 2013). It was such a fun day!
The drive home. Everyone was tired! I think they were all asleep at one point.
I was able to fly to Utah for my aunt's graveside service on January 7th (took my chances on Allegiant Airlines and got lucky!). It was a very quick trip (not even 48 hours) and it was crazy cold and snowy in Utah.
Todd and I arrived (he drove) at the same time Friday evening and we were able to go pick up Helen and take her to dinner. It was really great to spend some time with her and get caught up on each other's lives. It was special to be with her on the (2nd) anniversary of my Dad's passing. She is doing well and is as sweet as ever.
I drove up to the Franklin, ID cemetery with my brother Todd (and Samantha, Braden and Alex--my sister's kids). Todd's truck showed the temperature at NEGATIVE 11! Others said it was -16! Regardless of the thermometers is was probably the most frigid temperature I've ever been outside in. It was so cold that my phone stopped working! I only got a couple of photos after the service. Crazy cold!
The service was very short--especially due to the cold. Colin (Jackie's son) and Jannae (Bob's daughter) shared some brief memories. Jackie had called a couple of days before the service and asked me to sing, "I Often Go Walking." I said yes, but told her that I couldn't promise to get through it without crying. Just the thought of singing a song about mothers feet from where my own mother is buried would make me start to bawl. I said many prayers for help.
On our drive up to Franklin I started getting really congested. We stopped at Walgreens for some Sudafed (didn't help). When we arrived at the cemetery and stepped outside, the moisture in my eyes, nose, and mouth froze up and I tried to sing a little bit but my voice wasn't working at all! Again, I said a prayer. When the time came to sing, my voice was somehow warm and sounded like it usually does, and I made it through! Everyone joined me on the second verse and I wasn't able to sing the last line--Jackie and I both started crying. Jackie and me:
Todd (who looks so much like my dad now--especially in this cap!), dedicated the grave and I started sobbing during the prayer. I didn't realize how much I was shaking until my sister hugged me from behind and held me for the rest of the prayer/service to warm me up. There have been a couple of times since my mom died that I have had a spiritual impression as if she has sent someone to help or reach out to me in her place. This was one of those times. I'm not sure how things work on the other side, but I really felt that my mom was aware of us and that my sister's gesture of kindness (physically and emotionally) carried the love of our mom with it. Thank you, Min.
I LOVE MY FAMILY!
The last photo taken before my phone froze! David, me, Mindy, Todd, Alex:
Todd got this cool shot. So much snow!
From Frankin we headed to Jackie's for the rest of the afternoon and evening. It was great to visit and look through a lot of Pat's things. Todd and I briefly visited our niece McKaylynn and Jake that night (she had to work that day), and I spent Sunday with my sister's family at Amanda and Jamie's house (and went to church with them) before they took me to the airport.
While waiting at the airport, I got an email that Liv's Singers Company teacher could no longer do the group. I was really bummed out as Liv was really enjoying the group. I talked with her the next morning, Monday (my kids were still out of school for winter break). I suggested a couple of other activities she could try, and also the possibility of starting our own singing group. She LOVED the idea and got so excited about it. Liv picked the name ("Singing Stars!") only she wanted three exclamation marks, and we settled on one. I started making plans immediately, and by the end of the day had sent out an email to several friends.
Singing Stars is for 2nd to 4th grade girls, every Monday at my home from 4:00-5:00 and is $40 a month. We are learning five songs and will do a spring show in May (and hopefully two other community performances as well). Here is a logo I hired a friend to design:
We put mirrors up on one side of our garage so we can practice in there, and I'll be buying a portable AC unit soon. I have ten girls and we started the first Monday in February. It's going really well! Photo from the day we put mirrors up:
I got out some of the toys we had stored in our garage for Truman to play with. He thought the train was pretty cool:
Tru woke up from his nap one Sunday to discover this amazing Mega Blocks creation. He was in heaven! It entertained everyone for hours!
All of my boys have loved cars!
Some sweet video action:
Selfie with some cute boys:
Truman loves the moon! He is on constant lookout in any book we read and when outside. He discovered Hewitt's Buzz Lightyear hat (from Disneyland 2008), and generally has it on all of the time now. He points to that little planet thing under Buzz and says, "Moon," (although it sounds more like "men" truth be told). Goodness we love this dude.
"You are my sun, my moon, and all my stars." -E.E. Cummings
I was cleaning up the kitchen after taking the kids to school morning and went to check on Truman. I had a bit of Deja vu here! I haven't had anyone pull books out of the bookcase like this in years! Little turkey. He was so proud of himself and smiled all big for me.
Liv got these buttons from somewhere (can't remember) and pinned them to a headband. I just love her funky fashion choices. Stay unique forever, Liv!
Love these two cute crazies:

1 comment:
I can't believe how big and old everyone is getting! You are going to be the best Singing Stars instructor ever!
Post a Comment