Sunday, January 18, 2015

thanksgiving (2014) and "still sporty at forty" party

Rob turned the big 40 the week of Thanksgiving! We were so fortunate to have all of his siblings join us for the celebration. Someone suggested hiring a mariachi band for a party, but after thinking about it for a bit I figured what Rob would REALLY enjoy would be to put together a band with his family. Everyone was on board, and so Rob put together a set list and sent out assignments. We invited our friends to join us for the outdoor concert as well as appetizers and desserts. It turned out to be a great night although it was really quite chilly! We served hot cocoa outside and encouraged people to dress warm! I think everyone that came out had a great time (I know we did). It was such a busy day and night that I didn't take any photos (nor any photos the entire week!). The band performed in the grill area of our yard and we hung several strands of Christmas lights going from the house to the lattice over the "stage" area. It turned out pretty cool and I am bugged I didn't snap a photo. Here is the online invite to the party:


It was a really busy week with lots of work in the kitchen, but it was worth it and so much fun. I got permission to use photos that my SIL took and posted on her blog:(http://adventuresofthelaundryqueen.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-still-sporty-at-forty-thanksgiving.html)

Everyone had arrived by Rob's actual birthday on the 25th. We had a mexican bar for dinner and chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert:


After eating dinner and we had our one and only rehearsal. Things came together pretty well. The family has talked about doing another family band concert in a couple of years when Rob's mom turns 75 (and two sisters are turning 50 and 40). Here are some pics:



On Thanksgiving day, we were able to get everyone together for just a few minutes for some photos. All of the Peterson grandkids (with the exception of Jake who gets off his mission this next week!):

A big group photo:

Cute cousins (with puppet Peter):

Burke trying to be taller than his cousin (and getting called out):

Me with Rob's younger sisters in the busy kitchen:

Probably the best thing about our home is the huge fields across the street and next door. It made the perfect playground for the cousins during the day, and even at night for games of "mission."




The Thanksgiving feast was a success! Thanks EVERYONE for your help. Do you like my two plates? Truly eating for two here :)

We overheard this cute crew discussing politics over dinner (for real!). I would say the week was a success! Great memories, for sure.

2 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

It was really such a blast! I can't wait to do it again. Thanks for hosting us!

janeannechovy said...

Seriously one of my best times ever. I've already started listening for songs to add to our repertoire!