Tuesday, July 8, 2014

to utah for the 4th!

  We went to Utah for the week of July 4th. The night before we left we had some fun in the pool. Rob thought the boys looked like Dr. Seuss characters:
 This has nothing to do with our trip, but I didn't want to leave out these hilarious shots of Tosh playing Wii tennis with me. This boy practically jumps the entire time he is playing:

  We left for Utah on the 28th of June. Rob grabbed a stack of our CDs to listen to on the drive and thought to introduce Mulberry Drive (Rob's college band) to the kids:


We made a brief stop at Lee's Ferry and walked across the bridge. On our walk back Tosh yelled, "Keep your eyes open for Mt. Rushmore!"

Church didn't start until 2:00pm on Sunday, which meant there was plenty of time to make chocolates with Helen on Sunday morning. The kids had never done this before and really enjoyed it. The chocolates were cute AND very yummy! Great idea; thanks, Helen!

We made a little trip to visit the Haynie's on Monday morning, while my dad was at the dentist and before the cousins arrived. We got to meet their brand new baby, Blake! I'm so lame and didn't take a photo of him, but here are the other cute kids:

My brother Todd's family arrived Monday evening, and we took the kids to the "Castle Park" on Tuesday morning.

Resting in the shade:

Everyone tickle Hewitt!:

Rob worked from my dad's house on Monday and Tuesday. I was excited that he had the rest of the week to be with us. Wednesday morning we did something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time: hike the Y in Provo! Hewitt practically ran up the whole mountain. He never stopped to rest once! Tosh and I saw a little snake on the trail. I also recognized a guy that Rob and I were in Young Ambassadors with on the way up. Such a small world when in Utah County.

Climbing the Y:

Helen offered for Liv to stay with her instead of going hiking (and let's face it, Rob would have carried her the entire way on his shoulders). It was no question as to what Liv wanted to do! Here we are at the top of the Y:

 Sweet photobomb by Todd:

Snack and rest break at the top:


On the way back down:



 Wednesday evening we got to go to a fun birthday party for Rob's sister, Jana! It was a fun evening of good food and great company. Here is Liv pushing Kiefer on the swing:


 Delaney and Burke playing some b-ball (I love these two. One of my very favorite cousin combos):

Peterson cousins!

Rob and two of his awesome sisters:

Mark's family got in on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning we went to the Mt. Timpanogos Temple. I sure love these people:

Liv was so excited to get to play with the new Princess Play-Doh that Helen bought. Cute Daddy and daughter time:

My niece McKaylynn did such cute braids on all of the girls:


Thursday afternoon we hiked to Battle Creek Falls in Pleasant Grove. I promised some of the younger kids that it would be more of a "walk" than a "hike" and I had read that there was plenty of shade on the trail. Well, it was quite hot and sunny, and some of the kids weren't too happy on the way up, but I was told it was worth it once we got to the falls! Liv had worn her swimming suit and both she and Tosh got right under the falls:


Most of the gang:



Thursday evening we went to our cousin Jackie's home for dinner. After eating, the Dunning kids started playing a game of football in Mark and Jackie's incredible backyard.

They were soon joined by the men and some of our cousin Mark's kids (and grandkids) that were in town as well, and it turned into a big and long football game. I took so many photos! I promise these are just a few of them. Such a fun night!







Huddle up!



At one point Jackie came out with a horn and cowbell. She is such a hoot! I love my cousin.

It isn't a real football game without some cheerleaders!

Such a pretty view of the mountains. I really like being in Utah in July. I wish we could have stayed at least another week--our trip was too short!

 On the 4th of July we headed back to Provo for the Freedom Festival Parade. The kids were so excited (especially these three) when the entire cast of Studio C walked by. Cute Cami seriously started crying real tears, she was so happy.

My sister Mindy had suggested that Jamie could do the geocaching merit badge with Burke. I mentioned it to my brother's boys, and they agreed to go along. I think the four guys had a good time together, and for the last requirement they had to plan a geohunt for other kids.
 Learning to work the GPS

A special photo just for Aunt Mindy to show how excited they are about their completed blue cards:

Eliza (and Amanda and Helen) made a very festive red velvet cake:

Helen helped the younger kids to put on a little "Independence Day" program with chimes. My dad and Helen looked so cute standing in front of the kids holding the poster of the music cues:


Helen even provided Liv with this darling outfit for the program. Her job was to stand and wave the flags while the kids played "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" with the chimes.


We had a great trip. It was wonderful to spend time with family. A big thanks to my dad and Helen for hosting our big, crazy group! Miss everyone already! 

This is one of my favorite shots from the trip...Livvy Liberty!

2 comments:

Angie said...

So fun to see you guys. You weren't lame, we were just too busy talking :)

The Laundry Queen said...

Love that last shot of Liv, too. Super cute. I'm so glad we got to see you-- thanks for coming to help me celebrate. It's amazing how different the Battle Creek Falls hike is in the afternoon compared to when we went in the morning. When we were there the falls were completely in the shade and the mist from the falls made it feel kind of cool. No one was even tempted to get under the falls. :) Glad you had such a fun trip!