Burke's science fair team competed at the state level with their project, "Pollution Exclusion." In Burke's words: They researched how household plants could eliminate volatile organic compounds, a form of pollution found in things such as cardboard, paint chips, and paint thinner.
The boys had the opportunity to defend their project in front of several judges and ended up taking second place in their category! Prior to judging:
| Ryan C., Xavier V., and BTP |
A quick pic prior to leaving for the awards ceremony:
The boys with their awesome teacher, Mrs. Iyer:
| Way to go, guys! |
She insisted on buckling her baby in the car (with stroller) on our way to run errands:
One of Rob's new church responsibilities is over family history work for our ward. We went on a date (I tagged along to a training meeting he had) to our local family history center and I was blown away when I found one of my ancestors dating back to 1043!!! I had never checked out puzzilla.org before (do it if you haven't already!), and it was really cool. Most of you know that I've always had an interest in names (I think this is one thing that Burke actually got from me), and I'm really looking forward to getting into family history work. I'm planning to devote a good amount of time to this each week when Liv starts kindergarten this July. What's great now is that all you really need is a laptop--no need to go to a family history center. Rob started working with Burke and Hewitt on Sunday afternoon, getting them user names and ready to get to work as well. Our boys love learning about their family, and it's a great Sunday activity.
Rob and I have been working hard to do some 'Spring' organizing/cleaning around here (my laundry room has been clean for over two weeks which may be a record!). This is a random gem we found in our upstairs hallway desk. I'm not sure when Hewitt drew this, but it made us chuckle. Thankfully, he saves his humor for his art and never actually said this from the pulpit.
I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this but the kids are really into "The Game of Life" right now, especially Tosh. Tosh is really into money and likes seeing how much money he can make playing Life. He was just telling me on Sunday that he is planning to be a doctor, and I think that is mostly because that is the profession that makes the most in this game.
I really enjoyed all sessions of General Conference. Rob pulled out this awesome mat and wooden toys we got from Grandma Watkins which kept the younger kids busy during one of the sessions.
I'm pretty jazzed about these sweet pillowcases that will be going on our guest bed. I have no idea if they were my grandmother's or maybe a wedding present for my parents? I think they are darling:
I just found this "vacation map" in Hewitt's school papers. It beautifully illustrates our holiday company this year. I think my favorite part about it is how excited Hewitt and Aunt Alisa are to see each other (top left). It's the cutest! And then the photo of Alisa leaving on Christmas Day is awesome too (she's like, "See ya!" not even looking back.) So funny!
Hewitt's teacher requested surprise posters to help encourage the kids for the week-long testing they had last week. I thought Hewitt would get a kick out of these Studio C people cheering him on:
We attended Arts Night at Burke and Hewitt's school. This is Hewitt's "Georgia O'Keefe" watercolor flower on display (this was a fun art lesson to teach):
The band preformed outside. Burke is fun to watch on percussion (they were missing most of the band since it was an optional performance. This cute Grandpa helps the section out sometimes):
My Primary responsibilities have changed and I am now over cub scouts (I think I've mentioned that before). We just had our Blue and Gold Banquet which was pushed back a couple of months (due to the temple celebration activities and because both the cub committee chair and I are brand new). We ended up doing a western theme and we had some last minute craziness over the venue needing to be changed due to scheduling. The boys loved being able to run around outside at Skousen Park and it was a success in the end...AND it's over until next year :)
Hewitt and his buddy Dax:
Our good friends Fred and Char were sealed in the Gilbert Temple this Saturday. They asked Rob and I to help with their program at the luncheon afterward. We ended up doing seven numbers (in addition to family and friends making some nice comments and sharing memories). Rob was even kind enough to fulfill the bride's request and figured out how to play Chicago's "You're the Inspiration" on the piano (with it's 4 key changes or whatever). I think this is the only time I've ever seen Rob nervous! Everything went well and it's always fun to me to watch Rob play live and be reminded of how awesomely talented he is. I'm a lucky girl.
An after-school Scrabble game with this cutie:
It is a little cooler this week than last (high 80s instead of high 90s). I took Liv and her friend Natalie to two different parks today. They were so cute blowing bubbles in the shade:
In honor of National Siblings Day (yup, that's a thing apparently) I dusted off this oldie and quite possibly my favorite throwback photo ever of my siblings. I seem to vaguely remember dressing up as "Mr. & Mrs. Neat and Mr.& Mrs. Messy" or something like that. The one thing I remember for sure is my sister telling me to find an outfit that doesn't match and me thinking that was impossible because everything looked great together--ha! I also have to point out that this is me at Tosh's age. I love what my good friend Angie said about this, "You don't just look like him but you seem to have a little crazy like him too." Ha! No comment. :)
Anyway, I am thankful for these three awesome people and their great examples in my life. I love you guys.

4 comments:
Great post. I love the pic of Liv in the car with her strapped in baby doll and stroller. So good. :)
This is all so good. Liv in those boots! The best.
I always love everything you have to write. I love Hewitt's drawings. I love the boots. And I think you & Rob are awesome parents. I want to be like you when I grow up :)
Yes, your face in that last shot is so Tosh! Poor kid--he got the photo crazy from both sides. :)
Post a Comment