We got our tree up the first day or two of December this year. I've done the tree by myself in the past(I'd wait until the kids were in bed), but have been better at allowing the kids to help me with this task. There are still certain ornaments that we put up high (so no one can reach), but I'm trying to let some of my tendencies to control and have things 'just so' go. It was great to add some new ornaments to our collection from our travels this summer, including ornaments from Hawaii, Crater Lake, and San Francisco.
On Friday, December 6th we took the kids to Zoo Lights at the Phoenix Zoo. We went three years ago (had a blast!) and were able to get in for free again this year, thanks to an Intel HR party. They gave us glow sticks when we checked in and they had an area set up with tons of treats and hot chocolate. We are starting to hear a little bit of grumbling from our older kids at such events ("Can we go home now?"), but we all had a great time, despite the cold temps (way below average for here)!
Not sure you can tell, but the boys are sword fighting with their glow sticks here:
The kids were so excited to ride the carousel...
Especially Burke and me!
Fun night!
The next evening was our ward Christmas party. We had a great dinner and then watched "Mr. Kruger's Christmas" outside, under the stars. They had set up a huge screen and had heaters out on the green area behind the church. It was fun to snuggle under a blanket with the kids. Hewitt's face was so cute during the movie--I won't be able to adequately describe it, but Rob and I were really touched by watching him watch the movie.
We must have caught some bug (at the party?), because for the next couple of days we all took turns with the 24 hour stomach bug (except me). It made for a few nights in a row with VERY little sleep. Liv is seriously the best sick child. She is so sweet, never whiny or cries, and always gets to a bowl/sink/toilet in time (which I can't say for everyone). Isn't she the cutest little sickie?
On the 15th, we got together after church with our friends (the Weeds) for dinner and to go see some Christmas lights in a very festive neighborhood in Mesa. There is a Baptist pastor that has built a "Walk to Bethlehem" in his backyard that is really cool. The entire street and cul-de-sac are decorated to the hilt. It was really interesting:
Bad night photo, but oh well. I'm loving Hewitt's pose here:
Burke got his braces off on the 16th! After the appointment, Burke and I went to a Jr. High orientation at the school he will be attending next year. We were impressed with the team of teachers he will have. I'm a little nervous about Burke starting Jr. High (I'm not going to lie), but I think he will have a great time and do very well.
We were so excited to have Aunt Alisa come for a visit before Christmas! I think this is a great photo of Alisa, Burke and Liv making sugar cookies together:
The Saturday before Christmas, Alisa, Matthias, and I went for a run on the trail by our house and Rob was planning to bike with the kids on the trail to the park. We never saw them, and when we got home I started visited with our neighbors (Jen and Nick) across the street. I noticed that the van was gone and Liv's bike was still home but didn't think anything of it. After 15 minutes or so of being outside, I went into the house and did a few things in the kitchen and then headed up to take a quick shower before starting dinner. I thought I heard some noise from the playroom and was surprised that Burke was home (and playing a game on the Wii). I asked him why he was here instead of at the park with Rob. He very casually told me that Rob took Tosh to the ER. I sort of freaked out--especially because I had been home for at least 20 minutes and Burke hadn't come down to tell me what was going on! It turns out that Rob was getting the kids ready to go and popped open the trunk of the Accord to get the scooters. He had forgotten that there were Christmas presents in there, and shut the trunk down just as Tosh stuck his head inside! It hit Tosh at the hairline and it bled like crazy. I felt so bad that Rob had both Tosh and Liv with him at the hospital and I had no idea anything was wrong (of course my phone was dead). I finally got in touch with Rob. Tosh ended up with a couple of staples. When the doctor said that staples would probably be the best thing, Tosh asked, "What are my options?" It made the doctors laugh. We all met up for dinner (Matthias grilled bratwurst that he brought from Germany!), and then Rob, Matthias, Burke, and Tosh went to the Suns/Mavericks game in Phoenix.
On the way to the game, Tosh said, "I wonder..." and Rob interrupted him saying, "What did you say?!?!" I think Matthias was thoroughly confused as to why Rob was freaking out--- Tosh had said "wonder" with the correct "R" sound! All night he kept asking Tosh to say things with R's in them! It was pretty exciting. We all joked that it must have taken getting hit on the head to help him get his R's. Several days later, Tosh was worried that getting the staples out might affect his new ability, but no worries, it hasn't.
Tosh outside of the arena:
I FINALLY finished the family tree that I started over a year and a half ago! Rob told me forever ago that this was all he wanted for Christmas this year. I had tried to make a frame for it (on my own), but it was all lopsided (I didn't know to make sure my boards were straight before starting out!). Alisa and Matthias were so great in helping me build a new frame, and then we stapled the canvas down over the frame. They even hung it in my family room while Rob was away at a church meeting!
Our Christmas program on Sunday turned out well. I had a solo with our choir (Silent Night) which I had been very stressed out about. The arrangement was quite jazzy and I was nervous about messing up the timing (and I didn't want anyone to think it was me stylizing inappropriately for sacrament meeting). They added a cello which really helped make it very smooth and nice. I lost a couple of pounds due to nerves that morning, and my knees were shaking uncontrollably during the number, but I was very pleased with how it went. Alisa sang "O Holy Night" with Rob accompanying her on guitar, which was fabulous of course. She was very sick with a cough, but of course no one would have had a clue.
On Sunday evening, we were able to go caroling to a few of our neighbors. Rob played guitar and we would sing Jingle Bells, Silent Night (Alisa and Matthias singing a verse in German), and Feliz Navidad. It was so much fun and the neighbors loved it! I wish I had been able to get video of the kids singing. Their faces were all so cute and all four kids were singing every word out so nice and loud. I hope my mom and Rog were watching--they would have LOVED it.
Matthias left for California on Monday morning. We were able to talk Alisa into staying until Christmas Day :). On Christmas Eve, we had our friends Fred and Char over for dinner (we've gotten together the last three years). They are so awesome and brought some gifts for the kids as well as a big Honeybaked Ham and pretzel jello. We feasted on turkey, stuffing, etc. as well as chocolate mousse pie and lemon poppy seed cake. We then did some more caroling with them which was awesome (Fred also speaks German!), then came home to act out the nativity, and share some other Christmas messages. I think that Christmas Eve is my very favorite day of the year. I love the excitement (and great food), but mostly that the focus is on the Savior. There is a special reverence on Christmas Eve that can't be beat.
I didn't take one photo, but love this one that Alisa took of "Mary" looking so sweet:
We needed to get an earlier start on Christmas morning to be able to get Alisa to the airport on time, so we did our big Christmas breakfast on the 26th with John's family. The kids were excited to get (and eat) their favorite sugar cereals anyway. I took a couple of photos before we opened any presents (it still seems a little strange that the kids would be wearing shorts on Christmas!):
I think that one of my favorite things is taking the kids to shop for each other and then seeing how excited they are to give their gifts to each other. They always want to start with the gifts they gave to each other, which is very sweet to see.
Other photos:

Other photos:
The boys have asked Santa for remote controlled cars/airplanes for YEARS and Santa finally came through on that one.
I believe Burke got almost everything on his Christmas list this year (it was very short and included pajama pants, socks, BYU sweatshirt, Rubik's cube and a soccer ball). I think he was also happy with the Fablehaven series, but wasn't interested in the iPod shuffle from Santa. He later told Rob that he has a goal not to own any personal electronics until he graduates from high school. I'm guessing he'll change his mind in a couple of years, but you never know. Burke is not one to follow trends and needs to set himself apart from his peers.
Rob took Alisa to the airport on Christmas morning and then returned late that night to pick up his brother's family! John and Julie visited us a few years ago, but their kids have never been to our home. We had a great visit. Rob, Burke, Joseph and John watched the Blazers game at the Lundell's home one night (on their huge outside screen):She loves sitting by Emily and just being around her. It warms my heart. Liv was carrying around a bandana just the other day and when I asked her what she was doing, she said., "I want to be like Emily!" She loves her cousin!
On Friday night, the adults went on a double date to see "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." I really liked the movie and would recommend it for sure!
Rob and John took these five kids on a hike up San Tan Mountain one afternoon. I think they were grateful it was overcast!
I asked John and Rob to help me out with my sharing time in Jr. Primary-- They came in and sang "I am a Child of God" with the guitar. John sang a verse in French and Rob in Spanish. The kids were the quietest I remember them ever being. We lined the kids up in age order for a photo after church. I think it turned out super cute:
On Sunday night we went to see the Mesa Temple lights. It was very busy!
Another blurry night photo:
Waiting in line inside the visitor's center to see the exhibit of nativities from around the world:
Tosh just adores Joseph. He is so kind to our kids and is so awesome to play with them and hang out even though he is much older, which I really appreciate. We had such a great time with the Petersons--come back again soon!

3 comments:
I feel so bad that Tosh had to get staples, but ohmygosh that story is hilarious. I can just see the whole thing happen in my mind. And, seriously, those pictures of Liv feeding Emily are the cutest. Glad you had such a good time with family!
Sounds like you had a great Christmas. Love your family tree (and I won't make a joking comment I could make ;))
"What are my options?" !! Love that kid. I love the shot of Liv feeding Em--that's adorable. And I can't believe Rob still has that orange striped hat! Good snag from Mom's house.
It all looks like so much fun--I think we are overdue for a visit. :)
Post a Comment