Rob and I were asked to provide about 20 minutes of entertainment for a mother/daughter "Mad Hatter" dinner party (for Activity Days). It fell at the same night/time as one of Rob's soccer games. When I got back to the organizer (a friend old enough to be my mother) to tell her we wouldn't be able to do it, she said something like, "Oh Tamsen, you are great and don't need Rob to sing with you. Don't sell yourself short!" It was actually pretty funny and sounded like something my mom would tell me. Truthfully, the thought of singing alone (without Rob) is very stressful. I can't imagine finding background music, or even sheet music for a pianist?? No harmonies? No 'funny guy' that I can count on to entertain the crowd? Actually having to prepare in advance instead of the night (or hour) before? Gah!! I realize that I've gotten very spoiled over the years; it's pretty great (and convenient!) being married to such a talented guy.
This whole topic came up when we were over to dinner at some friends' house (both play on Rob's co-ed team), and the wife said, "Can I make a suggestion? Why doesn't Rob play just the first half of the game and then go sing with you?" I was thankful for her suggestion and joked with Rob saying, "Yes, how stressed out do you want me to be this week?" So Rob, the good man that he is, agreed to miss half of his game to support his wife that is very much a 'pleaser' (didn't want to bail on my friend) as well as a 'stresser' (didn't want to sing alone).
The husband of my friend was there taking photos during the activity (our activity day leaders are a DREAM team! Everything was so well planned and pretty awesome). He brought some copies by the other night and I snapped photos of the photos to share:
| This photo is not at all flattering of me (I look seriously geeky), but it certainly shows that my cute husband still makes me laugh! |
Thanks for singing with me, Rob. I know that the memories of times we've sung together will be some of my most treasured memories when we're old(er) and gray(er).
We were lucky to have our good friends, the Haynies, come down to visit the second week of our fall break. We tried to take full advantage of the last days it would be warm enough to swim for the year:
Liv was Abbi's shadow pretty much the entire week. I think both of these cuties enjoyed having another girl around.
The friend I walk with suggested that we go to "Organ Stop Pizza" for dinner. The pizza was good (thin crust and not greasy at all), and the entertainment was pretty awesome. Rob was so impressed with the organist on this amazing Wurlitzer--it was connected to so many instruments all over the room. We'd recommend going again with any of our family that is interested. Our kids loved making requests and listening to all sorts of things from "Star Wars" to "Mary Poppins." It was a fun night! This first shot is cute of Abbi watching bubbles fall from the ceiling:
I caught Liv taking a bite of pizza (love that her eyes are closed):
We stopped to walk around the Mesa Temple before heading home:
The kids are always sad when it's time to say goodbye. Burke and Zac have been BFs for eight years now!
Abbi and Hewitt --playing less together now as they are getting older and more awkward :/. Still hoping they may get married some day.
Carter and Tosh (Tosh introduced Carter as his 'cousin' when he saw some friends at the park!)
Liv and Gavin. How are they both four already?!
Sunny shot of the gang:
Silly shot:
Liv still LOVES to get into my things and had fun wearing my wedding slip around on Sunday afternoon. Just practicing for the big day, I guess:
The kids built a big fort in our playroom (Liv had knocked some of it down before I got this photo). I suppose she planned on permanently moving in, since she brought every single clothing item into the playroom! I guess she knew I needed some motivation to put some of the summer things away...
We went to the library and park the final day of fall break. The weather is perfect right now!
Liv's face in this next shot makes me happy. Such a sweetie:
More monkeys in a tree:
Love these kids! We had a great 'break' from school. And now, back to it!
2 comments:
We're 'back to it', and I'm really missing my more leisurely mornings. :) At least I only had 5 days to get used to it. Love the pictures!
The pizza place with the organ--ask Rob if he ever got to go to the Organ Grinder after choir competitions. It was a tradition at South for many years.
Post a Comment