Rob and I met 15 years ago today! It was at a retreat up Hobble Creek Canyon, UT with the Young Ambassadors. It was the first time that the band guys and singer/dancers were introduced. Rob and I were on the same team for a scavenger hunt. Most of you may know that we didn't give each other a second thought at the time (and probably had our first real conversation about 5 months after meeting). For the record, I only realized that we first met on September 12th just a couple of weeks ago when I was going through a box of old things and found a flier giving directions to the cabin in Hobble Creek. When I reminded Rob that we were on the same team, he admitted that he didn't remember that at all but only that his team won the scavenger hunt! Not surprising.
So I neglected posting last week (again). We stuck around home for Labor Day weekend and spent a lot of time on the yard. Rob was (thankfully) feeling better after being quite sick for two weeks. I finally went against my "no digging" policy and put on my work gloves and helped Rob dig and move gravel for several hours. We are still a few inches short for the tramp and so Rob hired a 19 yr. old kid we know (leaving on his mission in December) to hopefully finish it up soon. I keep reminding Rob of how crazy he was to start this huge digging project in late July! We have finally had a few days that haven't gone into the 100s. This has been the warmest August in Phoenix on record!!! I guess we'll always remember the hottest August as the one when Rob dug a big hole.
We were pretty much burnt out on 'labor' around the house on Labor Day, so we mostly hung out and played with the kids on Monday. Rob was doing some crazy things with the kids (see photo) until I put a stop to it.
A couple of random pics of the younger kids: Wow, is Liv a handful lately. Do I say this every week? Not only is she as busy as ever getting into drawers, climbing on everything, dumping boxes of crackers on the floor, pulling off her diaper and going poo on the carpet, etc. (sigh), but she is suddenly having sleeping issues! She has been an amazing sleeper since she was tiny (napping well and sleeping through the night). She is now fighting naps about every other day and getting out of bed multiple times at night. What is happening!?! I know that 'the nap' is a war I will eventually lose, but I am determined to win many more battles. The all-time low was this weekend when she woke up at 4:45 on Sunday morning, fell asleep late on Sunday afternoon and then didn't go to sleep until 11:00 Sunday night. She ended up in bed with me (for the first time in her life) and then was up again at 5:00AM this morning. Age two doesn't last forever, right? Good thing she is so cute.
She is talking more and more each day. A couple of my favorite things lately is that she says "Shaw" for "Tosh," and if I ask her something like if she is ready for bed or if her diaper is stinky she will say, "No I not."
So soccer season is here once again. This is the first year we have all three boys playing. We have a few overlaps in games, but never all three kids playing at the exact same time which is a good thing since there are only two of us.
Here are a couple of shots in the new jerseys:
I had two episodes this week where something struck me funny and I got laughing so hard that my laughter turned to tears, which turned to complete weeping. One of these was in a public setting and it was a little embarrassing... My emotions are a little out of control to say the least. I've read a few things lately referring to blogs as being somewhat fake, and though I must admit to trying to focus on positive things to write about on here, I try to be real about my ups and downs. Even though it's been a rough year, I look around at what others are dealing with and I feel incredibly grateful and blessed for my current challenges and trials. I am really trying to find more "joy in the journey," and to just take things one day at a time.
3 comments:
Yay, you're back! I definitely miss it when you skip a week. LOVE that picture of the craziness. The apple does NOT fall far from the tree. :) (Hey! At least he's got them in helmets!)
Cindy Lou stopped napping altogether the minute she turned two, so I think you should count your blessings. By not making it an issue, she now occasionally takes naps on her own initiative if she needs them.
We've only got one soccer player this year, but he got a new uniform too--our league is now partly sponsored by the Timbers, so their uniforms are now Timbers uniforms. Very cool.
I'm with JA. I was getting worried and missed your post. And I was going to say the exact same thing about Rob and the coaster of death-- at least helmets were involved. They might have died from other injuries, but their heads would have been intact. ; )
You know my issues with Big and sleeping. He still wakes up sometimes. But, I will say that cutting out his naps after age two helped a bit. She might sleep better at night if she wasn't sleeping so much during the day.
Yay for soccer! Miss you, Tams.
I have missed you post too, glad you are back. I love hearing how you are doing. I love the "joy in the journey" comment, I needed that one today.
Post a Comment